Can't merge m2ts with MkvToolNix after backing up

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
x0r13

Can't merge m2ts with MkvToolNix after backing up

Post by x0r13 »

Hey,

I currently have a little problem and I'm out of ideas. I ripped a few of my Blu-Ray discs to put them on my plex server. Everything worked fine (using full backup of the discs to hdd).
After ripping, I used MKVToolNix to load the stream files, and from there export to mkv.
However, one disc does not let me do that, because one of the m2ts files uses a different audio bit depth. For example, it looks like this after selecting one of the video streams:

00005.m2ts
00005.m2ts
00005.m2ts
00005.m2ts
00014.m2ts

Now, when trying to multiplex, and error is thrown that multiplexing is not possible because the bit depth of the first audio track does not match. While the 00014.m2ts file has both audio tracks @ 24bit, the 0005.m2ts has the first audio track at 16bit. I do not know why this is the case, because all other discs (it's a series containing 5 discs) worked without problems, and the bit depth matched.

How can I proceed here? I tried to re-encode the 00014.m2ts file using ffmpeg, but failed - the resulting file did not have any audio or subtitle streams anymore after encoding.
dcoke22

Re: Can't merge m2ts with MkvToolNix after backing up

Post by dcoke22 »

Why not open the backup in MakeMKV and let it mux the title into a .mkv file? What do you gain by using MKVToolNix to mux the stream(s) into a .mkv file?
x0r13

Post by x0r13 »

hey,

I tried that at first, but somehow MakeMKV created videos which were not in the correct order. For example, first came the intro of the episode, then a black screen for like 2 mins etc. The episodes when extracting through MakeMKV were ~27mins, and the ones created by MKVToolNix ~23mins.

Anyway, I was finally able to solve this issue by demuxing the 00014.m2ts file using tsMuxer, then re-encoding just the first audio track to pcm_s16le, and then re-muxing it with tsMuxer again. Afterwards I was able to use MKVToolNix just fine.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »