Do I need to select both layers when ripping a blue ray?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Thecomputertech1337

Do I need to select both layers when ripping a blue ray?

Post by Thecomputertech1337 »

So I don't know if this has been asked or not. But when I put in a blue ray disk, some of them will have 2 files of the same file size. Like one will be 20GB and there will be a secondary one that is also 20GB. Do I need to select both of them when ripping the disk. I've been only selecting one of the 2 and the quality looks fine. Heck some of them have more than 2 layers. Like one of them has 3 37GB ones. Do I need to be selecting them both/all 3? Or will that cause side effects?
Woodstock

Re: Do I need to select both layers when ripping a blue ray?

Post by Woodstock »

Multiple possibilities.

Mainly, you've got a disk with several copies of the movie, as in a Disney disk that has English, Spanish, and French (or German, or ???) copies of the movie, having just the scenes where the language on signs or announcements doesn't match the selected audio. These will usually follow some order, like having file names that are 00800, 00801, and 00802.

Another is where the movie is buried in bad copies. Disks from Lionsgate and related companies are suspect for this. Only one copy is REAL, the rest have different content that is "mostly like" the video.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Do you mean "angles", rather than "layers"? Usually just the 1st will suffice.

viewtopic.php?p=16899#p16899
Thecomputertech1337

Post by Thecomputertech1337 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:11 pm
Mainly, you've got a disk with several copies of the movie, as in a Disney disk that has English, Spanish, and French (or German, or ???) copies of the movie, having just the scenes where the language on signs or announcements doesn't match the selected audio. These will usually follow some order, like having file names that are 00800, 00801, and 00802.
That is the most likely possibility. As different copies are named like that. Thanks!
d00zah wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:16 pm
Do you mean "angles", rather than "layers"? Usually just the 1st will suffice.
Possible it's different angles but it's most likely Woodstocks response. Thanks though!