Wall-E Mulitple Choice

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Thedeanorama

Wall-E Mulitple Choice

Post by Thedeanorama »

Hi Folks, new issue for me. I have 9 choices, I'm guessing playlist protection? Which one is the go-to for grabbing?

Honestly I'm getting frustrated. I was roughly 97% successful for my 100+ DVD collection, but when it comes to Blu-Ray I'm running about 30% success. Some disks outright fail before a file is created, others come out in a jumbled mess or skip as though each chapter was trimmed by about 3 seconds on either end. Each disk is meticulously cleaned before use (even the ones new out of the box). I'm running HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.00-NM00200-211711211720 which as far as I know is the preferred LG Firmware for the 60N.
Attachments
walle mulitple choice.png
walle mulitple choice.png (70.07 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
dcoke22

Re: Wall-E Mulitple Choice

Post by dcoke22 »

Wall•E is a weird disc: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1903
Thedeanorama

Post by Thedeanorama »

Before I saw your response I grabbed the top one, which turned out to be 82 (French) - pristine copy but French

I searched out and found 81 and grabbed that, sure enough, it's English BUT I'm riddled with the same issues I mentioned above. I'll detail it a bit better blow
  • If I watch it through one of window's media players I get a perfect movie with no audio. I have 2 different audio streams I can choose, neither produce any sound.
  • If I watch it through Plex, I get audio but every 2 or 3 seconds it skips ahead a few seconds then resumes for a a few seconds the jumps ahead again and this isn't the only disc that's done this to me.
I'll dig out the other track that is English with the slightly alternate opening with commentators sitting down and see what my results are there but my confidence isn't high.

EDIT: 116 is just a shorter time between skips. A second or less of vid before I jump ahead a few seconds and get another second of the movie before leaping forward again.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think the main audio tracks on Wall•E are DTS. You can check what audio tracks are in your rip with MediaInfo, which is a very helpful tool.

I seem to recall Windows Media Player doesn't have codec support for DTS out of the box. That probably explains why you're not hearing audio. VLC should be able to play the rip just fine.

As for Plex, there's any number of things that could be going on. It is probably best to concentrate on making sure you're getting a good rip first.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It might be helpful to understand how other people rip blu-rays.

I make a decrypted backup of a blu-ray first. I put the disc in the drive and after MakeMKV does an initial scan of the disc, I hit the backup button at the top. I make sure the decrypt box is checked and then tell MakeMKV where I want the backup folder to live. After I get a clean backup, I can eject the disc and then open the backup I just made.

When you highlight a title in MakeMKV, the Info box on the right shows you lots of details, including something called the segment map. Blu-rays (and UHDs) are split up into segments. A movie might be a single segment in the simplest case, or it might be chunked into 47 segments as in the case of Wall•E.

As you highlight different titles you can see how that segment map changes. Some segments will undoubtedly be the same.

Those segment numbers are in fact the name of the underlying files on the blu-ray. Now that you've made a decrypted backup, you can see those files in the [backup folder]/BDMV/STREAM/ folder. The files in there are named with a 5 digit number, for example 00046.m2ts. Something like VLC can play those files. That allows one to see the differences between the segments and puzzle out which title has French opening credits vs English, for example.

In any case, when you finally click the MakeMKV button to make .mkv files from the disc backup you created, you'll find the process now goes as fast as your hard drive allows, which is undoubtedly much faster than ripping from the optical disc. You can check the resulting .mkv and if there's something not quite right, you can fix it and rip it again. This process also makes it easy to rip all the 'extras' that are on some discs while avoiding unnecessary stuff like forced trailers and Interpol's stern warning.