New to BluRays and MakeMKV. I have a few questions.

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
shelly

New to BluRays and MakeMKV. I have a few questions.

Post by shelly »

The whole MakeMKV site looks really sketchy to me. It might just be because of how dated it is, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm pretty much only looking to use the VLC integration features, not really looking to make any RIPs. I'm pretty sure the VLC integration falls under the shareware part of the software so I'm going to have to buy the activation key in about a month. I have a few questions about the software in general:

Is there anyway to pay using PayPal? I'd rather use PayPal than my actual bank card wherever I can.

About how long does it take to RIP a standard Blu-Ray? Assuming run-time is about 2 hours.

Is there any upside to ripping it instead of just using the VLC integration? This is for someone who literally just wants to watch the films, not share or spread.

If anyone could answer one, or all, of these questions, I'd be incredibly grateful. Thanks in advance.
Billycar11

Re: New to BluRays and MakeMKV. I have a few questions.

Post by Billycar11 »

Yes you can pay with Paypal

Assuming your drive is fast with a 6-8x rip speed it takes standard blurays about 20-40 mins

Upside of ripping is not having to get the disc out when you want to watch it and makes your Library portable my phone has 1.5TB of storage I can take moves with me anywhere with no data use.
You also don't have to hear a loud optical drive when watching a movie and generally playback from a backup is much more seamless then from a disc on PC.
Last edited by Billycar11 on Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dcoke22

Re: New to BluRays and MakeMKV. I have a few questions.

Post by dcoke22 »

With rips, I like not having to watch the FBI warning, forced trailers, or deal with the usually silly menus on a disc. I click start and the movie just starts.