Way to make more tolerant of BD errors?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
BluGuy

Way to make more tolerant of BD errors?

Post by BluGuy »

I have ripped my entire Blu-ray collection bar one title, Withnail and I. It consistently gives me unrecoverable errors on one sector that MakeMKV just won't pass. With every update to MakeMKV I try again in the hope that the updates solves the issue.

The disk is as clean as could be and has no visible marks or scratches. It plays perfectly on a consumer BD player. I assume it is a mastering error of the disk and hence buying another copy probably wouldn't help. Is there a way I can just lose the frames causing the errors and rip the rest, i.e. make MakeMKV more tolerant of disk errors?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
BluGuy

Re: Way to make more tolerant of BD errors?

Post by BluGuy »

Log reads:
Saving 1 titles into directory /Users/timmillea/Movies/MKV
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts' at offset '7954956288'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts' at offset '7955017728'
Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading '/dev/rdisk6' at offset '7955017728'
Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading '/dev/rdisk6' at offset '7955017728'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts' at offset '7955017728'
Failed to save title 0 to file /Users/timmillea/Movies/MKV/title_t00.mkv
Encountered 8 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/read/
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Woodstock

Re: Way to make more tolerant of BD errors?

Post by Woodstock »

Given the type and placement of the errors, I'd be more suspicious of power problems with the disk. When it gets WAY out there, it needs more speed... and sometimes, the power shuts down because it can't handle that. Happens most often when the disk is external and powered directly by the 5v supply from USB connector.

Unfortunately, MakeMKV doesn't know WHY the error occurs, just that it happens and the attempts to read the disk fail too many times. I've seen it "work itself out" if the writes can be slowed enough to prevent the optical disk from going "full speed". But it's better if you can keep the drive powered, which usually means using two cables to the drive, from different USB ports.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging