Blu-Ray Write MAC M1

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Ky Sinclair

Blu-Ray Write MAC M1

Post by Ky Sinclair »

Can anyone recommend a suitable blu ray writer for a MAC M1 any recommendations would be appreciated.

I am struggling to find one that works.
Woodstock

Re: Blu-Ray Write MAC M1

Post by Woodstock »

Having trouble understanding your question. All of the external drives specified here work for the M1 Macs. Main problem is deciding what you want to spend.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2022

The flashing guide has the list of recommended optical drives.

If you choose a Pioneer drive, you don't have to flash firmware on it, generally speaking. There are, however, sellers on this forum that will flash & test other drives for you so when the drive shows up, it is ready to go.

If you have a Mac that only has USB Type C ports on it, you can still use any of the listed drives, but you might need a USB Type A to USB Type C converter since most optical drive cases for desktop drives have a USB Type B to USB Type A cable. You can get a USB Type B to USB Type C cable that will work.
Ky Sinclair

Post by Ky Sinclair »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:51 pm
Having trouble understanding your question. All of the external drives specified here work for the M1 Macs. Main problem is deciding what you want to spend.
I can not find any that support MacOS Monterey on 12.5 on M1. It generally only supports older models and can not find anything that supports that system.
Ky Sinclair

Post by Ky Sinclair »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:52 pm
Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2022

The flashing guide has the list of recommended optical drives.

If you choose a Pioneer drive, you don't have to flash firmware on it, generally speaking. There are, however, sellers on this forum that will flash & test other drives for you so when the drive shows up, it is ready to go.

If you have a Mac that only has USB Type C ports on it, you can still use any of the listed drives, but you might need a USB Type A to USB Type C converter since most optical drive cases for desktop drives have a USB Type B to USB Type A cable. You can get a USB Type B to USB Type C cable that will work.

These models do not support Monterey OS M1 operating system. Any chance someone knows what can be supported?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Well, I've got three of the drives on that list. I've used all three of them with MakeMKV on my M1 MacBook Air. What are you looking for in terms of support?
Ky Sinclair

Post by Ky Sinclair »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:36 pm
Well, I've got three of the drives on that list. I've used all three of them with MakeMKV on my M1 MacBook Air. What are you looking for in terms of support?
are you on Monterey?

I am wanting to know if anyone using Monterey can recommend one. Any I have found use a lot earlier operating systems.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Yes. I even took the enormous amount of time Apple seems to need to install updates to install the 12.5.1 update today. My Pioneer BDR-212U is running a blu-ray backup right now.

I'm still not sure what you're looking for. On macOS, optical drives don't have any drivers or software to install. A built-in driver is used by the OS to access the drive. Are you looking to use the drive more broadly than for MakeMKV?
montereymakemkv.jpg
montereymakemkv.jpg (130.99 KiB) Viewed 3221 times