Determining correct version - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
NotMeOssifer

Determining correct version - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Post by NotMeOssifer »

I'm using this movie as an example as it's just happened to me but at the same time I'm also generally asking for future movies too - how can you tell which is the one you should be ripping? As what I've experienced with this movie, it's the first time it's happened.

For the vast majority of blu rays I've ripped, it's real easy to detect the movie - as there's only one entry that shows up around the 20GB-40GB mark.
Some times I see a double entry around this file size, but you then notice one file is perhaps say 2hrs30mins where the other is maybe 2hrs45mins. You can quick skip through the file using VLC perhaps & see the 2hr45mins one has some extra scenes so if you want the full version you can keep that & delete the other or just keep both. No problem.

But I once had a movie (I forget which) when I was skipping through using VLC, making sure everything was ok, one of my random skips revealed like a text stamp embedded in to the movie against piracy or something. I checked the same time point in the other video file and it wasn't there. I brought the duration between my skip points real close to give the movie a thorough going over as best I could & was able to determine the only difference was that embedded piracy stamp. It was by pure chance that I landed on it as if I'd moved the mouse pointer slightly left or right and hit a different time in the video, I'd have missed it & perhaps deleted the wrong file.

So that is in the back of my mind now when I look at the latest - the Star Wars movie I mention in the title.

Thing is, there's 2 entries on the disc, but both are exactly the same duration, which doesn't help. Same file size, same bitrate, same fps.

When looking at it in MakeMKV, there's 2 source files:

A) 00800.mpls
B) 01612.mpls

Now, I don't want to keep more video files than I need to because hard drive space is needed but I also don't want to delete the wrong file.

I can't tell the difference between the two, so how do you? And how do you tell the difference between 2 files in this situation for any other movie?
d00zah

Re: Determining correct version - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Post by d00zah »

General 'rule of thumb' regarding (NA) Disney releases:

00800.mpls - English intro/credits

00801.mpls <> 00802.mpls - Spanish <> French intro/credits (don't recall which is which)

These 'other' language options will vary by release region.

The other title may be a different 'angle', w/ subtle differences.
Last edited by d00zah on Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
NotMeOssifer

Post by NotMeOssifer »

d00zah wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:58 am
General 'rule of thumb' regarding (NA) Disney releases:

00800.mpls - English intro/credits

008001.mpls <> 00802.mpls - Spanish <> French intro/credits (don't recall which is which)

These 'other' language options will vary by release region.

The other title may be a different 'angle', w/ subtle differences.
Ahh, you got it!

When skipping through the video file, I didn't notice the difference which was the opening credits.

After what you said, I hopped to the end but it was the exact same. Then I remembered the opening - the 00800 was in English but the 01612 was in French. This appears to be the only difference.

This one was a toughie. All those before this one have been fairly easy to spot. Ok telling the difference between French and English is also easy but when you don't have the time to watch them side-by-side for an exact comparison, unless the difference is quite clear such as a duration difference then it can be a little tricky.

You've saved me 39.8GB anyway so thanks :)
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Well, your example was a Disney release & this rule applied.

In other cases, like Lionsgate releases, MANY false playlists are displayed... playlist obfuscation... What is the correct play list [insert title here]?

In yet other cases, it may be that the disc includes different versions of the film. In these cases, I rely on the disc menu/IMDB technical specs for specific 'runtimes' to decide what I want.