MakeMKV fails at 51% with read error and able to copy via File Explorer. Any way to decrypt?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
stroper

MakeMKV fails at 51% with read error and able to copy via File Explorer. Any way to decrypt?

Post by stroper »

Hi there!

A special thanks to Mike for developing such a wonderful program.

I have a BD disk and failing to copy using Make MKV. I have tried the latest and previous version too without success. I even used the command line option to rip the drive and it failed at same state (at 51%) citing read errors.

I was able to copy the main m2ts file in Windows fine even though the copy operation slowed down to 0kbps at 51% and struggled a bit but eventually copied the whole file successfully. I have verified the size of the file on disk and PC and it's the same. So, the copy is fine via Windows.

I tried to clean the disk several times and I didn't see any visible scratches. No luck. The Blu-ray plays fine on LG player fine though.

Since I was able to copy the original m2ts file without decryption, would it be possible to decrypt this file?

Any further help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Ezatoka

Re: MakeMKV fails at 51% with read error and able to copy via File Explorer. Any way to decrypt?

Post by Ezatoka »

What were you trying to make with MakeMKV? MKV files or a backup?

If you made a backup, did you try to make an encrypted backup to see, if that might work?
stroper

Re: MakeMKV fails at 51% with read error and able to copy via File Explorer. Any way to decrypt?

Post by stroper »

Hi!

Thanks for your prompt response.

I am trying to create a MKV file from the Blu-ray disk. I have attempted to take the backup and copied the .dat file to the destination folder to decrypt. But the application still complains that the file is corrupted. However, the disk plays fine. To be frank, I have cleaned the disk several times and didn't notice any scratches or excessive dust. But I now get the point that the disk is either damaged beyond my visibility or my Blu-ray disk layer (Pioneer) issue.

I was able to create MKV files from my rest of blu-ray disk collection. :)
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Are you able to make a backup from within MakeMKV? Either encrypted or decrypted? From what I read you only used the files you copied yourself via Explorer.

51% could sound like some kind of error at the layer break eventually, though maybe someone else has an idea about that.
AngryVirginian

Post by AngryVirginian »

Copy the entire disc encrypted with Windows Explorer. Use ISO Maker to make the backup into ISO. Use MakeMkv to open the ISO.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk