MakeMKV won't detect certain videos definitely on the disc

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
megaminxwin

MakeMKV won't detect certain videos definitely on the disc

Post by megaminxwin »

Hi,

I recently picked up a copy of the animated version of "Fury from the Deep" (BDPA0760), and I'm having trouble with ripping disc 3. One of the features on that disc - which does work, I've checked with VLC - is the complete version of an audio drama, "The Slide". When audio dramas have been on Blu-ray discs before, MakeMKV has had no trouble picking them up; however, this time it doesn't detect it at all.

There aren't any debugging messages when I rip the entire disc, it does that without complaint. I know it's not that the video is too short, because each part is about half an hour long, and in any case I have the minimum title length set to zero, just in case. It's not that it's having issues ripping it, it's that it doesn't even see it at all to rip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
megaminxwin

Re: MakeMKV won't detect certain videos definitely on the disc

Post by megaminxwin »

Alright, so while MakeMKV still isn't detecting those videos, I did manage to pull them off the disc losslessly. Here's what I did, and what I noticed while doing it:

I knew the files were on the disc, but MakeMKV wasn't detecting them for some reason. However, I figured that MakeMKV could make a decrypted backup of the disc, from which I could search around, find the files I needed, and try converting the .m2ts files to .mkv by hand. This proved successful: after making a decrypted backup, and doing a fair amount of looking, I found the files, and losslessly converted them with mkvmerge. I think it was a lossless conversion, anyway.

Something I did notice: the files that it was unable to grab were all encoded as H.262 (i.e. MPEG-2), rather than H.264 like all the other videos. This is perfectly acceptable in the Blu-ray format, having both types of files on the same disc, but it does make me wonder if there is a bug in MakeMKV which prevents the program from detecting those files on a Blu-ray. I'm not entirely sure about this, however. I have a few other Blu-rays which might have H.262 files as well, so I'll check those tomorrow, and if MakeMKV can't pick those up then we'll know this is a bug. If it can't, then there's probably something funky with this disc.

Things I should have pointed out earlier: I'm using Kubuntu 22.04, and my optical drive is an LG WH16NS40, flashed with WH16NS60 1.02 firmware. I can provide more details if needed.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Does MakeMKV show any lines in the log like "was skipped because of duplicate" or something?
megaminxwin

Post by megaminxwin »

Yes, it does; however, I didn't think anything of this, since every disc I've ever ripped with MakeMKV does this, to my knowledge.

Here's the log, from when I open MakeMKV to when it finishes loading the contents:

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.16.7 linux(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /home/tamara/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=7FA2657C7667)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
File 00022.mpls was added as title #0
File 00028.mpls was added as title #1
File 00029.mpls was added as title #2
File 00030.mpls was added as title #3
File 00031.mpls was added as title #4
File 00091.mpls was added as title #5
File 00159.mpls was added as title #6
File 00160.mpls was added as title #7
Title 00017.mpls is equal to title 00028.mpls and was skipped
Title 00018.mpls is equal to title 00029.mpls and was skipped
File 00021.mpls was added as title #8
Title 00027.mpls is equal to title 00030.mpls and was skipped
Title 00032.mpls is equal to title 00031.mpls and was skipped
Title 00092.mpls is equal to title 00091.mpls and was skipped
File 00094.mpls was added as title #9
Title 00161.mpls is equal to title 00159.mpls and was skipped
Title 00162.mpls is equal to title 00160.mpls and was skipped
File 00006.m2ts was added as title #10
File 00015.m2ts was added as title #11
File 00037.m2ts was added as title #12
File 00141.m2ts was added as title #13
File 00142.m2ts was added as title #14
File 00008.m2ts was added as title #15
Operation successfully completed
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

megaminxwin wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:09 am
find the files I needed, and try converting the .m2ts files to .mkv by hand
I think doing so will make you loose metadata, like chapters or language informations. Would be better if you open the (decrypted) BluRay with MKVToolNix. It also will list you any playlists on the disc and doesn't remove duplicates. From there you can then make a MKV file (as well as see, which m2ts files are in those playlists that have been skipped, and if they are really a duplicate).
megaminxwin

Post by megaminxwin »

I just tried that, and the chapter info for the files was all messed up so it didn't play properly. However, it did let me find the playlist files that correspond to the episodes; they are 00166, 00167, 00168, 00169, 00170, 00171, and 00172. None of those are classified as duplicates or even apparently detected by MakeMKV.

EDIT: I think the video files might be malformed. The other audio dramas on Blu-ray, they just throw up still images while the audio plays, but the video track runs for the length of the audio. The audio drama I'm doing, the video tracks last for exactly two frames (possibly fields actually). I don't know if that's just a metadata thing or if there's an actual malformation, but SOMETHING odd is going on here.