Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet (2009)

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Radiocomms237

Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet (2009)

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Title: Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet (2009)

Disc Information:
Label: BLOOD_NIGHT
Timestamp: 2010-09-06 10:48:38
Protection: AACS v18
Data capacity: 22.16 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 1
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)

Disc Region: B
© Anchor Bay Entertainment Australia Pty Ltd
STZ1391

MakeMKV v1.16.7 win(x64-release)

It's not often a disc beats me but I think I have to admit defeat with this one. I purchased it second-hand, and it was an ex-rental, and it was absolutely filthy. It failed to rip as I got it so I've cleaned it a dozen-odd times since using brand new microfiber cloth and even resorted to the old white vinegar trick but still no luck.

I should add that this disc won't play successfully in either my LG Blu-ray player or my PC (using VLC Media player), it skips and jumps and eventually just locks up.

So it should be no surprise that it won't rip using MakeMKV either, but I've cleaned and cleaned (and cleaned) this disc and it looks perfect to the naked eye but it still won't rip (debug log attached).

Has anyone else tried ripping this particular disc? I'm starting to wonder if it has some weird 'protection' or something?

I am, of course, open to suggestions?
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(20.56 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Billycar11

Re: Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet (2009)

Post by Billycar11 »

nah it not weird protection its damaged.
you can try using polish
car compound and polish works too not wax
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

A black cat must've run under my ladder or something...

I finally found another copy of this title, not an ex-rental (that I know of) and in "like new" condition, and I paid a small fortune for it as second-hand discs go, but this one still won't play in any of my drives.

The previous copy would play but it skipped and jumped and eventually froze-up the player, this copy isn't even recognized as a disc!

In both my LG UBK80 and my PC it just spins for a while then says "no disc". It seems extremely unlikely that I'd get two damaged discs in a row, I think there has to be some funky kind of "protection" going on, either that or there was a defective batch of discs manufactured. The question is, do I risk buying a third copy?

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has this title.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Code: Select all

002003:0000 Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00002.m2ts' at offset '10591395840'
From your first log in May. As Billycar11 said, those errors are the optical drive being unable to read the disc. There doesn't seem to be a thread about the title on blu-ray.com either. A quick scan of Amazon reviews doesn't show lots of people complaining about bad discs. The blu-ray came out in 2011, perhaps with only a single pressing, so all those discs are 11 years old now. Finding a good one might be hard.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Third time unlucky!

I just received the third copy of this title (for which I paid even more than the last) and with my previous experience in mind I slipped it straight into the PC and fired up MakeMKV.

The "Disc information" is identical to the first copy (I couldn't even get that far with the second copy), and once again, it didn't even get finished scanning before a slew of errors started streaming down the screen.

Although, for the first time, I actually got this copy to successfully rip one of the special features, but not the main feature.

The disc looks perfect (as the previous two discs did), clean, no scratches, and multiple attempts at cleaning made absolutely no difference.

This simply can't be coincidence, I rarely find a disc (that doesn't have obvious damage) that won't rip, and now I've had three of this same title in a row! There HAS to be something weird going on with the manufacturing process or something?

My last hope for ripping this title is to buy a German import "reprint" from Europe, only I hate doing that because it's a lottery as far as language tracks and censorship goes...

I'd still love to hear from anybody else who has this title?

Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Well, it's taken four purchases and well over a hundred bucks spent but I finally own a working copy of this movie!

I just received the German import version and it looks like it has ripped flawlessly, even though the date code is only two years different from the originals:

Disc Information:
Label: Blood Night
Timestamp: 2012-07-29 23:24:07
Protection: AACS v31
Data capacity: 21.84 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 1
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)

On the plus side, this disc has 7.1 audio (both German and English) whereas the other copies only had 5.1 (according to the slipcovers anyway).

As for the negatives, I had to re-order the audio tracks to make English the default, although that's no big deal, and this version doesn't have English subtitles at all (but at least the German subs aren't hard-coded).

And the Special Features on the German import are only in SD, whereas the one SF I was able to get from all the other discs was 1080p.

I'll sleep better tonight knowing this one is in the bank... FINALLY!

dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm glad you finally got a copy that works. Out of curiosity, do you only have the one optical drive? Your log says you have a Pioneer BDR-209D, which, being a Pioneer, is probably a fine drive. I'm just curious if you've been able to try any of your copies in other optical drives?
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Yep, for the moment that's the only Blu-ray PC drive I have (I also kept the old DVD drive in this PC when I upgraded to Blu-ray, but that's no help).

I also have an LG UBK80 desktop player that I use to map out discs before ripping.

I've actually bought a new Pioneer BDRS12UHT that's slated for a new PC I'm building (as I can afford the parts) but that's not operational yet.

I guess I could swap it in just to test these discs but if I don't, then it's more incentive to get my new PC built!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

MakeMKV can use more than one optical drive at the same time. Perhaps get a case to use with your new optical drive on your existing computer. When you finish the new computer, use the case with your old drive.

I have my Pioneer drive in a Vantec case: https://www.vantecusa.com/products_deta ... ame=Vantec