Challenging Subtitles

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
murtagh

Challenging Subtitles

Post by murtagh »

I am having trouble extracting a set of subtitles, and would like some help. I have "The Rocky Horror Picture Show 40th Anniversary Celebration" on Blu-Ray. One of its features is a "Vintage Callback Track" that displays some of the traditional in-theater call and response lines. I have dug through the various files on the disc, and am convinced the Callback Track is not being stored as a PGS subtitle. Looking through the files on the disc through my file browser, I think the track is being displayed as a Java Applet on-screen while the movie plays. It is a clever layering of graphic sprites. It gives the programmer graphic freedom, but is nonstandard.

Is there a way to capture this output? My ideal solution would be to be able to reencode the output into a standard subtitle I can turn on and off the normal way, even if I lose the flexibility to have both the Callback track and the movie's subtitling at the same time. My second choice would be make an MKV that captures the applet running. This would cost me storage space, but keeps the graphic richness of the callback track. The weakest choice, but the one I suspect I will have to pursue, is to reencode the applet as a standard subtitle, losing the graphic design but retaining the text, which is the important part. I can handle adding a subtitle track through MKVToolNix if I can find a way to extract it properly.