Learning MakeMKV and I'm confused (Devil's Advocate Blu-Ray)

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
RyanHcodes

Learning MakeMKV and I'm confused (Devil's Advocate Blu-Ray)

Post by RyanHcodes »

Hey there, I was hoping you guys could help me. I am ripping some blu-rays and when I load up Devil's Advocate there are two separate titles that have the exact same segment count, map, duration, chapter count, etc. and seem to be completely duplicate.
Then when I expand each title, I see that there's a difference of the first having a large selection of audio and subtitle track languages, while the second only has english and japanese audio and subtitles.
When I visit the blu-ray.com page for the Devil's Advocate Blu-Ray, Japanese isn't even listed as an inclusion on the disc in either audio or subs.

I ripped both with only the english audio and subs, and opened them both in MediaInfo and compared the result and they seem to be identical. I guess my question is, in a situation like this, is there anything potentially different? If all I'm planning to utilize is the english audio and subs, should I just not worry about it? I have the disc backed up on my hard drive regardless, but it just seems weird to me and I don't want to unintentionally miss some scene or content because of simply overlooking it. Any additional info you could guide me toward providing and I'll be happy to and thanks in advance :)
AngryVirginian

Re: Learning MakeMKV and I'm confused (Devil's Advocate Blu-Ray)

Post by AngryVirginian »

Studios can sometimes use the same disc for release in multiple regions. The second playlist with Japanese options was probably meant for the Japan region. Different menu options for different regions based on the region setting of the BR disc player.

You will see this a lot on Disney discs.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

RyanHcodes

Post by RyanHcodes »

That makes sense to me :) Thanks for the clarification!
meanstreak

Post by meanstreak »

I was literally going to ask this same question about the Dune Blu-Ray. Three different files of the film on it, wasn't sure which was legit. They all seem to be!