Can't open blu-ray backups or discs for Victoria TV Series

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Aelio

Can't open blu-ray backups or discs for Victoria TV Series

Post by Aelio »

Has anyone ran into issues either backing up or opening the blu-ray discs for the Victoria TV show?

I was able to backup, open, and play Victoria season 1 with no issues. However, viewing backups or opening the discs for seasons 2 and 3 have proved to be impossible so far.

I get no read errors of any kind when backing up. Everything seems to work perfectly as far as that goes. In the end though, I'm unable to either open the backups or play them using VLC.

Initially after discovering the backups wouldn't open or play as expected, I thought well I'll just try opening the discs manually and see how that works; well, it didn't. MakeMKV will just take an extremely long time "opening" the disc but never finish. Something similar happens when attempting to open the backups.

I've been using MakeMKV for quite some time now and this is the first time something like this has happened. I continue to use it on a regular basis without issue outside of this occurrence.

Now I could just have some seemingly good, but in reality, bad discs that is causing the issue in the first place, but I just thought I'd ask as it's happened with every disc from both season 2 and season 3. Generally, when I come across bad disks, it's 1 or 2 out of a season and generally I will get read errors or hash check errors at least. With these, they appear on the surface to backup flawlessly, their backups just can't be opened, played, and the discs themselves can't be opened. The disks can be played manually using VLC but that's about as far as I get with them.

I saw a post on here related to the Victoria series, but it didn't sound like what was happening with me. Again, no errors of any kind. Is there something I'm missing with this series, or did I just come across some bad disks?
Aelio

Re: Can't open blu-ray backups or discs for Victoria TV Series

Post by Aelio »

I tested another set of discs and the same thing is happening. I can't open the disc with MakeMKV, backups run fine but can't be opened, and backups can't be played using VLC.

I'm not sure what the problem is. When attempting to open the discs, it gets stuck on 'using java runtime'. It never errors, just continuously tries to open the disc until I cancel it or end the task. I'm using the latest version of Java. This is also the only series that seems to be doing this. Season 1 backed up and played just fine but season 2 and onward has not been working.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Are you on Linux?

I'm aware of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17268&start=15
Aelio

Post by Aelio »

Wow, I'm not on Linux but that post did help me. Someone suggested setting the 'Custom Java Executable Location' on the 'Protection' tab to something erroneous, so that MakeMKV can't find/use the java executable and it worked. The disc layout looks pretty wild with many repeating titles etc. but I'm at least able to open the disc and open previously made backups.

I'm kind of disappointed now cause, I deleted multiple seasons of the successful backups I had, thinking it was just broken/wasn't going to work, now I wish I had those backups.

Anyway, thanks for pointing this post out. I never received any errors or crashes, but java did seem to be preventing this from working.