Serenity BluRay - bonus feature question

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Midwest Mike

Serenity BluRay - bonus feature question

Post by Midwest Mike »

Ripping my copy of the BluRay, I was left to wonder about one of the special features. This was a relatively early BluRay and Joss Whedon seemed to be excited about the potential of the format, so the disc uses many of the capabilities that are ignored in most releases. What I'm interested in is under the U-Control menu. We're all familiar with alternate sound tracks that have commentary by the director, screenwriters, actors, and/or other members of the creative team.

Under the U-Control menu, one of the options is "Visual Commentary with Writer/Director Joss Whedon and Cast. Here, in a picture-in-picture presentation, they add video to the audio recording of the creator commentary. What I'm wondering is, where on the disc can I find this commentary to rip it? I simply do not see it in all the tracks identified by MakeMKV.

I have attached a photo of the U-Control menu & one of the PIP visual commentary, so you can see what I'm referencing.
Attachments
PIP_commentary.jpg
PIP_commentary.jpg (325.97 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
U-Control_menu.jpg
U-Control_menu.jpg (335.65 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
albert90

Re: Serenity BluRay - bonus feature question

Post by albert90 »

I did some digging around the forum on this, and there have been similar posts like this before, too. Give it a look - I don't think it has the exact solution you're looking for but it seems to be possible to extract the PIP stream as a separate file if you'd like to settle for that.

viewtopic.php?t=22292 (there are a couple other relevant forum threads linked within this one too).
caycep

Post by caycep »

One question that I haven't been able to figure out - MakeMKV rips 2 full length tracks - track 01 and track 20, which seem to be fairly similar. Differing by a 0.2 gb or something like that. To my eye, they seem basically the same....has anyone figured out the difference?
digitalMedic

Post by digitalMedic »

caycep wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:32 am
One question that I haven't been able to figure out - MakeMKV rips 2 full length tracks - track 01 and track 20, which seem to be fairly similar. Differing by a 0.2 gb or something like that. To my eye, they seem basically the same....has anyone figured out the difference?
The only difference I can see is that title 20, which rips as "Serenity t00.mkv" has 21 chapters. Title 27, which rips as "Serenity t01.mkv" only has two chapters.