Should I return drive when I get M2TS hash check error once?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
wilyjaromj

Should I return drive when I get M2TS hash check error once?

Post by wilyjaromj »

I recently bought a BU40N drive and flashed it so it is libredrive compatible. It has worked great until today. While ripping a disk I got the following:

The source file 'BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts is corrupt or invalid at offset 20151662592, attempting to work around

MakeMKV gave me this link to read about the error:
www.makemkv.com/errors/hashcheck

It mentions that this error usually means the drive is failing. However I tried re-ripping the same disk and it worked fine. I then ripped another disk that worked fine. So this is a one time incident.

My question is, does this warrant replacing the drive? Or does this happen sometimes even thought the drive is fine? I have 1 more week until I can no longer return the drive to Amazon. So you can see that if this is only the beginning of more problems I want to take care of it now.
dcoke22

Re: Should I return drive when I get M2TS hash check error once?

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't have a BU40N, but I do have other LibreDrive capable drives. I occasionally get hash check errors, but I interpret it to mean the disc is dirty, which it often is. Usually, after I clean the disk, it works fine.

There are others here who are more qualified than I, but in my opinion, a single hash check error does not warrant drive replacement.