JRE issues...or something else?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
CarlosTheDwarf

JRE issues...or something else?

Post by CarlosTheDwarf »

On any disc that's looking for JRE - everything seems to rip fine (no errors displayed by MakeMKV). But when the disc is done, I get "noise" in my playback a few times within each movie. Here's an example from "No Time To Die":

(Hmm...Image doesn't work in preview, so I'm linking it here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DkKEvW ... sp=sharing)

I'm running jre1/8/0_311 and MakeMKV 1.16.5. These bad reads only happen on discs that call for JRE...all other discs run great. These bad reads happen in different places on different discs, but for each disc, then happen in the same place (Example - 48 Hours happens at exactly 3 minutes, no matter if I'm using MakeMKV on my PC or Mac).

Discs are new and clean and the only thing they have in common is the need for JRE. Would love any thoughts on what I could do the solve the issue. I'm not super technical, but I'm willing to do homework!
jinx100

Re: JRE issues...or something else?

Post by jinx100 »

JRE is used to help MakeMKV find the correct mpls on some disks. Since you know the correct mpls from your rips with noise, what happens if you hide the JRE and rip that mpls again? If you still had the noise then it would be something other than JRE.

Added: Noise is usually caused by limits of the video player or data transport to the video player. Try changes in those areas, too.
CarlosTheDwarf

Post by CarlosTheDwarf »

Maybe "noise" is the wrong description - it's like 1 second of a color test pattern gone wrong, then it snaps back to looking perfect. Like a temporary bad read.

It does the same thing with or without the JRE active. And the only reason I blame the JRE is that it only happens with discs that MakeMKV flags as needing JRE to properly work. All other discs come out perfect.
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

I did rip No Time to Die with MakeMKV 1.16.5 and the log said it was using JRE though there was no obfuscation. Played the MKV through on the TV and saw no noise or artifacts. The reviewers were a little harsh.

Sorry, I have no further ideas for you.
CarlosTheDwarf

Post by CarlosTheDwarf »

Thanks for trying. And it turns out, I AM AN IDIOT!!

Not sure why these were randomly discs that required JRE, but when I went to play the MKV files and they came up distorted, I was playing them on a Window "Movie & TV" player. Turns out when I took these "corrupted files" and uploaded them...Plex played them just fine and they look great. Sigh...it was embarrassing to admit that, but I do so so that others may learn.

And I agree - Bond reviews = too harsh. I liked it quite a bit.