No Disc on Blu-ray but DVD is fine

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
NotMyChicken

No Disc on Blu-ray but DVD is fine

Post by NotMyChicken »

My blu-ray disk drive (samsung BD-Rom/DVD Writer Model SH-B083) reads DVDs and CDs but no Blu-rays. I enabled the logs but nothing shows up in them. When I insert my disc (Arrival) all I get is a short amount of scratching noises and then it tells me that there is no disc -- no error message whatsoever.

Is my drive simply broken?
Am I missing something?
How do I figure out what is wrong?

My system:
Software: MakeMKV v1.16.5 linux(x64-release)
License: temporary key until January 2022
drive: SAMSUNG_DVDWBD_SH-B083L_SB00_R78L6GHZ307021(based on log)

Thanks for reading.
dcoke22

Re: No Disc on Blu-ray but DVD is fine

Post by dcoke22 »

DVDs and Blu-rays uses lasers with different wavelengths of light, so there's usually two emitters in a drive. It is possible the blu-ray laser is broken or dirty. If you're feeling DIY, you could take the drive apart and clean the lasers. That might help. If the laser is broken, however, then no amount of cleaning will fix that.

Or… buy a new drive.
NotMyChicken

Post by NotMyChicken »

dcoke22 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:02 am
DVDs and Blu-rays uses lasers with different wavelengths of light, so there's usually two emitters in a drive. It is possible the blu-ray laser is broken or dirty. If you're feeling DIY, you could take the drive apart and clean the lasers. That might help. If the laser is broken, however, then no amount of cleaning will fix that.

Or… buy a new drive.
I do feel a bit DIY. How do I "clean the lasers" ? a cloth? pressurized air?
EribeURi83

Post by EribeURi83 »

Nice tip! dcoke22! I have a lens disc cleaner and will attempt to brush off the dust with it as I have same drive and exact rasping clanky sound issues that don't read Blu-Rays. My ----update---- is CD with brush didn't fix it and I now resorted to update firmware from SB00 to SB01 yet same disc hasn't given playback however trying other blu ray discs has NOW worked for me! So Original Poster try to update firmware or try other blu rays as I did and got optical drive to working order. :D