Random Scramble in Blu Ray Playback

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
dontknowjack

Re: Random Scramble in Blu Ray Playback

Post by dontknowjack »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:54 pm
Hmm that's strange I have seen this before but it only happens in the default windows player.
All the 3rd party ones dont do it for me
If everyone had this problem I think a lot more people would be complaining
I was thinking gpu decoding issue untill you said it does it in ffmpeg unless you have that set to use gpu encoding maybe try it with cpu only encoding
Have you tried with several of your media? Keep in mind that the only reason I noticed this was luck, I was just seeking a video file and happened to notice the glitch, otherwise I would never do it because:

1. It only appears while seeking, playing the video doesn't show the glitch.
2. It only appears in certain frames, and sometimes while you seek you may not even hit the frame so you wont notice this in that case either.

I don't think its a decoding issue because the MKVToolNix output is glitch free, here I have uploaded part of the video file, go to 00:03.045 with the video paused and you will see it: https://filecloud.me/5ag932l4fxtm.html
To catch the exact time where the glitch happens in that piece of video wasn't easy because seeking wasn't hitting the right frame, just to show you how unlikely is anyone to see this unless purposefully looking for the glitch.

EDIT: Btw I have to correct myself, when extracting with ffmpeg the frames look good, the glitch can only be seen while seeking.
WokHei

Re: Random Scramble in Blu Ray Playback

Post by WokHei »

Any update on this? I am a novice user and I'm seeing this type of distortion on playback (not seeking) of most of the blu-rays I've ripped so far. It is consistent and repeatable - always happens in the same places, particularly at scene changes.

The rig I'm using is pretty old (10+ years). It's an I3 with 12 GB RAM and just the on board Intel HD Graphics processor. I am using VLC for playback.

I thought it might be a data transfer bottleneck because of the USB 2.0 but I tried moving one of offending files to the local SSD drive and still saw the same problem.

Is this a ripping problem with MakeMKV or a playback problem with VLC? Or is it a rendering issue with the Intel graphics processor?