Random Scramble in Blu Ray Playback

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
TransformedBG

Random Scramble in Blu Ray Playback

Post by TransformedBG »

I delayed on updating makemkv from 1.15 to 1.16 for a little bit because I honestly didn't even realize there was an update. That being said, it the only thing different that I have changed when ripping my media. Recently I tried to rip my Resident Evil Blu-ray collection (new in box) and everything ripped to the hard disk just fine. No errors or anything. However, when i went to play them back they would start to play just fine then occasionally flash a screen (sound still playing) like a kid trying to watch the nudie channel on tv back in the 90's when it was just scrambled. (See attachment). On the flip side I tried another program I had (VideSolo) and ripped Lossless and it did the same thing. But if I rip it using compression (Hq1080p) the playback is just fine no scramble. Am I missing something? Its only doing this with Blu-ray's. thanks ahead of time.
Attachments
Randomly while playing back
Randomly while playing back
playback error.JPG (126.77 KiB) Viewed 8385 times
Woodstock

Re: Random Scramble in Blu Ray Playback

Post by Woodstock »

Play back in what?

The picture is typical of an overwhelmed video decoder - too many bits received compared to the ability to render them. If they always happened at the SAME point (usually a scene change), that would probably be the case.

But it can also happen when the decoder isn't getting the bits fast enough, due to transport issues. Those can be random, depending on the network or bus load.

In either case, processing to reduce the bit rate helps, but it doesn't solve the base problem.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TransformedBG

Post by TransformedBG »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:13 pm
Play back in what?

The picture is typical of an overwhelmed video decoder - too many bits received compared to the ability to render them. If they always happened at the SAME point (usually a scene change), that would probably be the case.

But it can also happen when the decoder isn't getting the bits fast enough, due to transport issues. Those can be random, depending on the network or bus load.

In either case, processing to reduce the bit rate helps, but it doesn't solve the base problem.
typically, it's happening on all playback devices... Right now, I am just using my main rig to test everything after ripping them. little old but it should be more than enough to handle it. 4790k, 16gb ddr3 2400, 1080gtx. (Upgrading right now just isn't very feasible)

That being said then, I'm assuming what you're saying is that my 1080 GTX is overwhelmed? I mean I haven't had a problem with it up until now... But what you're saying is true cause I have pinpointed the seen to get that screen shot lol. 5:17
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That rig should be able to play 1080p video without issue, assuming the data gets to the decoder. Your driver should be using the hardware H.264 decoder on the board, but even software decoding should keep up.

Defects in the files themselves should show up on ALL playback programs/devices at the same place. It's the random ones that are a pain to track down. Like having two network cables fail and turn a gigabit connection to the file server into a 10Mbit half-duplex connection when the cable is flexed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Don't use the built in windows player use VLC mpc.
I have seen many complaints like this with the default windows 10 player
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
TransformedBG

Post by TransformedBG »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:46 am
That rig should be able to play 1080p video without issue, assuming the data gets to the decoder. Your driver should be using the hardware H.264 decoder on the board, but even software decoding should keep up.

Defects in the files themselves should show up on ALL playback programs/devices at the same place. It's the random ones that are a pain to track down. Like having two network cables fail and turn a gigabit connection to the file server into a 10Mbit half-duplex connection when the cable is flexed.

Drivers up to date, using h.264 etc. But yeah, defects show in ALL playback devices. Tried VLC, plex server, Window default, pot player, etc. Always the same seen. But like i said it's just Blu-ray and that's what's got me. I really had no issues till I updated to 1.16. But that's a moot point cause as i previous stated using other decoders I get the same issue. Only 2 things i can think would be possibly my Drive is dying on the Blu-ray side or something internal to my computer.
dontknowjack

Post by dontknowjack »

I''m having a similar issue with also a Resident Evil title but it has happened with other titles too. Here is what I've posted in video help:
I've demuxed a Blu-ray backup (so it wasn't from the disc) with MakeMKV and it was OK (I got no error messages) but while seeking I noticed some glitches. I tested with several players and I got the same result with every single one but if I extract the frames with ffmpeg all the image files look normal. Here is a clip: https://pixeldrain.com/u/JgM9f3SK

With the clip if you pause the video and go here: 00:01.919 you will see the glitch.

Here is a screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/9iGCG1D.png
I have to clarify, this is ONLY noticeable when the video is paused and I'm seeking. If I play the video I don't see any glitch, even pausing and playing like crazy, but if I pause and then seek or go directly to the time it does appear.

I also extracted all the frames from that clip and all the image files looked well too. This is not the only video file with which I'm having this problem, there is at least 1 or 2 more. What I want to know/understand here is:

1. Is the video file corrupted?
2. How is it that extracting all the frames doesn't show that corruption/glitch?
3. If 1 is no, is my PC faulty, then? Or is the container?

And no, the original m2ts file doesn't show this glitch, it looks normal.
And as I said there, with MKVToolNix the output file doesn't present this glitch so there is something in MakeMKV that is corrupting the output. I'm using MakeMKV 1.16.5.

EDIT: So I have extracted the video tracks from the output files from MKVToolNix and MakeMKV and they both have different hashes -using the SHA3-512 hash- but they also have different sizes so that's enough to know they are different.
dontknowjack

Post by dontknowjack »

After checking more video files it seems this problem is somewhat common. From 6 videos I've checked 5 have this problem, with some it's worst than others. I will try to remux those movies again but with MKVToolNix this time and see if the problems are present there, but as far as I can see, this issue should have high priority, it looks like video tracks aren't being just demuxed 1:1.

EDIT: Made a test installing older versions of MakeMKV but it didn't worked. Tried 1.16.3 and 1.15.1, tried those two versions because I already have the installers on my computer, and 1.15.1 is old already. With both versions MakeMKV still output with the same issue.

EDIT2: With MKVToolNix there are no glitches, I've already ripped 5 titles and so far none of them have any issues.
Last edited by dontknowjack on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
dontknowjack

Post by dontknowjack »

The more media I test, the more I find with these glitches. It seems this has always happened but why? What is MakeMKV doing with the video track that makes these glitches appear?
With MKVToolNix the video track is fine. This is a serious bug, video, audio and all other tracks are supposed to be 1:1 with the source, now I'll have to re-rip a lot of movies and TV shows
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

dontknowjack wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:34 pm
EDIT: So I have extracted the video tracks from the output files from MKVToolNix and MakeMKV and they both have different hashes -using the SHA3-512 hash- but they also have different sizes so that's enough to know they are different.
Weird, I'd expected different MKV file sizes since MakeMKV and MKVoolnix might use different flags but I when I ripped a GoT episode and extracted the video from the containers I also got slight differences in file size.

Code: Select all

8.106.352.812   TsMuxer.264	
8.106.276.285   MKVtoolnix.h264	
8.106.782.690   MakeMKV.h264
I haven't seen your kind of glitches though lately except once quite some time back where I had ripped a BD with an extra layer of protection that the then current MakeMKV version couldn't handle yet.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
dontknowjack

Post by dontknowjack »

Have you tried with other ripped titles you have? Because I do have some that are glitch-free but most have it.
In a test I made I grabbed the directories and with imgburn I created an ISO file and MakeMKV had two different outputs when

1. Opened the ISO directly with MakeMKV
2. Mounted the ISO and opened the playlist from the virtual drive

Both outputs had glitches but they didn't had it in the same spot.

EDIT: To add. I have tested two TV Shows, Spartacus (Gods of the Arena & Vengeance) and Deadwood.

Deadwood is, as far as I have tested (haven't tested every single episode, only a bunch), glitch-free.
Spartacus (both seasons) have glitches in, at least, some episodes. Haven't tested every single one either but with just a few having it I better re-rip the entire seasons.
dontknowjack

Post by dontknowjack »

This is still happening with 1.17.1.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

dontknowjack wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:42 pm
Swap away from the built in windows player most 3rd party players don't have this issue
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
dontknowjack

Post by dontknowjack »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:23 pm
dontknowjack wrote:
Swap away from the built in windows player most 3rd party players don't have this issue
I have tried with:

mpv
VLC
MPC-BE
MPC-HC

And the glitch is present in all of them and they are not present if I use MKVToolNix to rip the blu-ray.
Last edited by dontknowjack on Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

dontknowjack wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:34 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:23 pm
dontknowjack wrote:
I have tried with:

mpv
VLC
MPC-BE
MPC-HC

And the glitch is present in all of them, even extracting the frames with FFMPEG shows them, they are not present if I use MKVToolNix to rip the blu-ray.
Hmm that's strange I have seen this before but it only happens in the default windows player.
All the 3rd party ones dont do it for me
If everyone had this problem I think a lot more people would be complaining
I was thinking gpu decoding issue untill you said it does it in ffmpeg unless you have that set to use gpu encoding maybe try it with cpu only encoding