Ripping Sony mastered for 4k

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
darthhypno

Ripping Sony mastered for 4k

Post by darthhypno »

Does MakeMKV support the x.v.YCC color space? After ripping a mastered in 4k disc the rip shows as 8 bit YUV per MediaInfo rather than the 10bit x.v.YCC that should be on the disk. New to the forums if there is a better place to put this please let me know.
Woodstock

Re: Ripping Sony mastered for 4k

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV copies the video tracks from the disk without modification, other than removing the copy protection. It does not change the colorspace data.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
darthhypno

Post by darthhypno »

So is there an explanation for why the colorspace on the disk and the colorspace that makemkv spits out is different?
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

I've never heard of an HD bluray (as opposed to a UHD one) being in 10bit. they are all 8 bit AVC. for 10 bit, need UHD spec and 10 bit HEVC.
darthhypno

Post by darthhypno »

It was a weird transitionary format made by Sony
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/supp ... s/00044452 basically the transitionary. Between 4K and Blu-ray that Sony's TVs would upscale. The way they did it according to my readings is they added negative RGB values and an expanded chroma output.

My assumption at this point is that make MKV sees it as a yuv color space. And disregards the negative RGB values as an error.