How do I get a replacement for damaged discs?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
grandpixel

Post by grandpixel »

So I ripped my collection of about 600 movies, and ended up with about 10 that wouldn't rip because of scratches or otherwise damaged discs. How should I go about getting replacements?
hart2hart

Post by hart2hart »

I’ve never heard of getting free replacements. I had a similar issue when started ripping. I found most of disc used on ebay for good prices but since then eBay prices has gotten much higher.

Make sure you clean and polish discs for deciding they are lost causes. I was able to revive some.
MartyMcNuts

Re: How do I get a replacement for damaged discs?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

grandpixel wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:07 am
So I ripped my collection of about 600 movies, and ended up with about 10 that wouldn't rip because of scratches or otherwise damaged discs. How should I go about getting replacements?
It all depends where and how long ago you bought them. If you are still inside the return window, go for it.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
grandpixel

Post by grandpixel »

I contacted all the studios. We'll see who responds and is willing to replace the discs.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Some disks that are beyond "just cleaning" can be resurfaced. This works much better with DVDs than BDs, though. And I'd recommend having it done by someone experienced at it, rather than jumping in to buying your own machine and learning how.

Back when I had a Netflix DVD account, I'd just rent the disks that were too bad to rip, and hope. That didn't work out all that often, though, as their disks were in as bad of shape as mine... :roll:
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:45 pm
Some disks that are beyond "just cleaning" can be resurfaced. This works much better with DVDs than BDs, though. And I'd recommend having it done by someone experienced at it, rather than jumping in to buying your own machine and learning how.

Back when I had a Netflix DVD account, I'd just rent the disks that were too bad to rip, and hope. That didn't work out all that often, though, as their disks were in as bad of shape as mine... :roll:
this is where you should have used ddrescue (assuming the netflix DVD is the same as yours). as long a damaged in different places, ddrescue would get you a 100% image (then you'd have to stick it through dvd decrypter or another tool to brute force remove the css)