Grabbing Subitels

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
vallekoch

Grabbing Subitels

Post by vallekoch »

I'm using a 30 day test version of makemkv für grabbing blu-rays. But it is not possible to grab the Subtitels. While grabbing a DVD, it's no problem. Thanks for help in advance.
Woodstock

Re: Grabbing Subitels

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV pulls subtitles from Blu-Ray just fine. What settings are you using for your language?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
vallekoch

Post by vallekoch »

Thanks for your answer. Please see the following pics which explains how I grab the file:

img 0001.jpg:
MakeMKV scanning blu-ray disc who framed roger rabbit.

img 0002.jpg
Settings with Language English and Subtitle English. I often grab original version with English subtitle to get a good help in understanding the English speech better.

img 0003.jpg
No subtitle in grabbed video file in VLC Media Player.

img 0004.jpg
In a blu-ray player reading directly from disc subtitle is there.

img 0005.jpg
VLC-Player supports subtitle in mkv video files. Here is my former dvd grab.

I consider to licence the MakeMKV software. It's really cool. It's important for me to have subtitles as I mentionad above. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it very much.
vallekoch

Post by vallekoch »

I found my error.
I didn't know that it's possible to select all subtitles in VLC Player. The grabbed video file contains all subtitles no matter which one selects in makemkv. I thought there was only one possible subtitle and you had to choose one.

Thank you anyway.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You can have MakeMKV grab all the subtitle tracks, then VLC will allow you to select which ones you want to display.

By default, VLC will show you the FIRST subtitle track in the file. This is not always what you want; some disk authors will choose a different order, then use the Bluray menu to select the "right one". Except MKV files do not have a menu, so there are other ways to make sure the right track is displayed by default.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging