excluding segments from seamless branching playlists

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
thetoad

excluding segments from seamless branching playlists

Post by thetoad »

I have seen a number of situations recently that MakeMKV is excluding segments (somewhat unimportant ones, but annoying nonetheless) from it's processing of a bluray.

example: I have a Kino Lorber bluray that has their logo in one m2ts file, then the movie in another. MakeMKV is creating MKVs without the initial m2ts file's data. When it enumerates the playlists/titles it shows the playlist as something like 00004.m2ts(1) (there's no 00004.m2ts option anywere else).

My guess, this is because the initial m2ts doesn't have audio tracks, so it's making a best effort to try and deal with it (its actually reasonable to an extent, mkvtoolnix for instance, just looks at the playlist as having no audio at all). It be better though if it could insert silence. unsure if that's readily possible. or perhaps put audio from the main track in, but with a delay. equivalent to the first segment.

just some thoughts.
asmian

Re: excluding segments from seamless branching playlists

Post by asmian »

I just had a similar issue with an anime disc. The end (English) credits were separate files, so there were two versions of the episodes in the playlist, one without them (the episode file) and another with presumably seamless branching to play the credits after. On the first season disc, these second episodes were discarded as "identical" by MakeMKV when detecting files, so the only way to get the episodes with the credits added was to backup the whole disc and use Handbrake to select the playlists that MakeMKV had discarded. The second season disc didn't have this problem and showed the extended episodes correctly as optional files that could be saved out (with credits correctly added).

Maybe there is something that MakeMKV is not interpreting correctly in the seamless branching.