Blu-ray Backup works, but how can I write the backup to disc with no region code?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
legolad

Blu-ray Backup works, but how can I write the backup to disc with no region code?

Post by legolad »

I found one of my aunt's favorite old movies but it was only available as a Region B Blu-ray. I figured I would rip it and write it as a region-free disc for her, but it's proving harder than I thought.

My MakeMKV backup worked fine, but I can't figure out how to write that backup to a disc without the Region B code.

ImgBurn doesn't have that option as far as I can tell and all my google-fu has failed me. Any suggestions?
Woodstock

Re: Blu-ray Backup works, but how can I write the backup to disc with no region code?

Post by Woodstock »

If you're trying to make a BD that doesn't care about regions, you'll have to replace the menus, which is where the region coding is enforced. Of course, that kind of defeats the reason for doing a "full disk backup"...

A simpler approach is really to write to MKV files, ignore the menus, and give your aunt a media player that can read something other than BDs. MKV files do not have region coding.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
legolad

Re: Blu-ray Backup works, but how can I write the backup to disc with no region code?

Post by legolad »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:44 pm
A simpler approach is really to write to MKV files, ignore the menus, and give your aunt a media player that can read something other than BDs. MKV files do not have region coding.
Thanks. Sadly she struggles with technology so anything new (like playing from an MKV) is just too much for her.
Frankly I'm surprised she can navigate disc menus.

I guess I'll create a new Bluray menu for her.