Making a 1:1 backup of a protected disc

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Ezatoka

Making a 1:1 backup of a protected disc

Post by Ezatoka »

Hey everyone,

if I make a backup of a BluRay to ISO, and then try to give that ISO to MakeMKV, it doesn't find the key needed.

But aren't the files in the backup the same as being on the disc itself and should have the same key?

I know, I can start a disc backup without decrypting to get the (I think) discdat file or how it is called. But if I have an ISO image (e.g. made with DiscImageCreator) and don't want to alter the image itself, is there a way to still let MakeMKV recognize the disc? E.g. if I extract the VUK via FindVUK or something and add it somewhere? Or place the discdat file somewhere?
dcoke22

Re: Making a 1:1 backup of a protected disc

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't really understand the ins and outs of backing up a blu-ray to an ISO and how that relates to MakeMKV. I have, however, tracked down a couple of threads I recalled that seemed to be on this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16826

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17087

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22790
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

if you want to make an imgae with other software besides makemkv, you have to start a protected backup with makemkv so it creates the smal metadata file that you alreay know of, you can then abort it, and proceed with your other tool to make the iso. you would then extract the iso contents into the directory that makemkv expects.

i.e. useful if the idsc is scratched and have to spend a lot of time with ddrescue to recover.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

I wonder if it would be useful to have a command line parameter for MakeMKV to just create the discatt.dat file so one doesn't have to abort something hmm