Harry potter titles? Which one?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
HittiittitiH

Harry potter titles? Which one?

Post by HittiittitiH »

Going to convert harry potter blu-ray to mkv.

Upon opening the disc, there are quite of few titles.

I'd like to get the best quality, which one should I pick, this is disc one sorcerers stone. Should I pick the one with 40 chapters?

dcoke22

Re: Harry potter titles? Which one?

Post by dcoke22 »

In cases like that, I usually just pick all three and see what the differences are. If I recall, one of those is probably a director commentary version.

If you make a decrypted backup of the disc first, you can make .mkv files of the 3 versions of the film at hard drive speeds. Also, you can look at individual segments.

In the Info box on the right, you'll see a line called Segment map with a series of numbers after it. If you highlight the different titles, you should see the segment map change. Those segments correlate with the files in BDMV/STREAM in the decrypted backup MakeMKV can make. In there are files named, for instance, 00205.m2ts. VLC (https://www.videolan.org/vlc/) or MPV (https://mpv.io) or others can play these .m2ts files, which are segments of the movie. Playing two segments that differ between titles can often tell you which title is the one you're interested in.
rtaft

Post by rtaft »

While idk about this disk specificly, I can say for certain that with Disney movies they in are different languages. You may not even notice it if the audio defaults to English but things like the title, credits, etc might be in another language. Some of the Pixar ones go even further with scenes that have things like building signs in another language.
preserve

Post by preserve »

HittiittitiH wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:50 pm
Should I pick the one with 40 chapters?
I generally look at the packaging for the answer, although if you bought a later release of this film, it's the same disc but the packaging may exclude all the details. I'll also check the Blu-ray.com review to find the answers. As a last resort, I'll put the disc in a normal player.

This disc has 3 versions of the film included - a "152-minute theatrical cut and its director-supervised 159-minute cut, as well as a Picture-in-Picture video commentary with director Chris Columbus (viewable only with the theatrical cut of the film)."

So you can look at the run times of the three that have 35 or 40 chapters. Two should have the same run time, one will be the theatrical cut and one should be the theatrical cut with Picture-in-Picture video commentary. I forget how they did the video commentary on this disc, so I don't recall offhand if it'll show different segments or if it's the one with more chapters on this disc. Then the one with the longer run time will be the extended edition of the film.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
icebreaker374

Post by icebreaker374 »

I actually did my 4K and Blu Ray HP's recently I think Sorcerers stone was one of the 35 chapter ones.