Problem with burning BD copy - copy disc skips in player

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
MrRom92

Problem with burning BD copy - copy disc skips in player

Post by MrRom92 »

Hello everyone, I am kinda new to the whole BD ripping/burning thing and am in the process of figuring out the process and setting up a new PC/new drives to be capable of doing this. I have a standard commercially purchased blu ray, single layer movie that I tried to make my first copy of.

I made a decrypted backup in MakeMKV, and no apparent errors occurred during the rip or anything like that.

Then I used IMGburn to write it to a single layer 25gb disc. No apparent errors on write either, and the disc verified after the burn with no read errors or miscompares. I used a quality Sony blank.

I went to play the copy in a player and it seemed like it worked fine, but at one point in the movie about 4 minutes in it skips forward about 30 seconds. And it does it at the same point everytime. Not sure if it skips elsewhere in the movie but I’d guess so.

Playing the original disc in that player does *not* skip at all at this point.

I haven’t tested other players to see if the behavior is any different but regardless, this shouldn’t be happening and I’m gonna be pretty upset if I just turned an expensive BD blank into a coaster 🙃 Anyone have any idea what might be going on?
MrRom92

Re: Problem with burning BD copy - copy disc skips in player

Post by MrRom92 »

Update: just as a test I have a completely different 50GB RE disc that I tried burning the rip to at 2x (yes I know, this isn’t single layer like the source disc but it’s what I have) and put it in the player. I thought that maybe the issue stems from me burning that initial copy at max speed, but this copy also skips at the same exact spot. 🤷🏻‍♀️
MrRom92

Post by MrRom92 »

another update: I tried burning another copy in my LG drive instead of the Pioneer I burned the previous 2 copies in. Still skips at the same point though.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

I would recommend not buying discs and use hard drives they are much cheaper and you won't have issues like this you may need a new player but burning discs has always had weird things like this happen
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MrRom92

Post by MrRom92 »

Is there a player that can load up a BD rip from Hdd and behave just like the original disc? Preferably something that doesn’t involve a HTPC in the living room or something.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MrRom92 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:13 am
Is there a player that can load up a BD rip from Hdd and behave just like the original disc? Preferably something that doesn’t involve a HTPC in the living room or something.
yes lots of them but you will have trouble with some movies doing it that way but not many only the ones with fake playlist protection but you would already have the same problem burning too when burning the discs
in fact that could be the issue your having now a fake play list to make it seem like the movie is bad not sure if this disc does that or not though
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If you want a player that will show you menus, unskippable previews, and FBI warnings, I believe they exist, but I don't have any experience with them. People make a decrypted backup, like you're doing, and point the player at the backup.

Other players, like Plex (https://www.plex.tv), let you put movie files on a computer somewhere and play them on your TV using the Plex app, which can run on many smart TVs, or AppleTV, or Roku, or Amazon Fire Stick, or the Google thing or just about any streaming box. It is possible, with MakeMKV, to rip both the movie itself and any interesting extras you might want. Each thing will be put in its own .mkv file. Plex has a way you can arrange all those files so they show up in an intelligent way in the Plex interface on your TV. https://support.plex.tv/articles/202934 ... rs-extras/

You can run your Plex server on an old computer (or a new computer) with a big hard drive plugged in from anywhere in your house as long as it is attached to your local network. This way it doesn't have to be in your living room with your TV. Personally, I run my Plex server on a Raspberry Pi 4, but this is a somewhat more specialized setup. Lots of folks buy a NAS (Synology or QNAP) and run a Plex server on there and stick the NAS somewhere out of the way.

Plex isn't the only setup that can do this, but it is probably the most well known and popular. You can start with Plex for free. There are some nice improvements you can get with a Plex subscription, but it isn't necessary to watch your ripped movies from your own server in your own house.
MrRom92

Post by MrRom92 »

Yeah, I do prefer that 1:1 disc experience that would behave as if I just popped the actual disc in. Most of my collection is on store bought discs anyway so this isn’t a major problem, but it is frustrating that the odd copy I may have here and there of a disc that’s rare/OOP and too expensive to buy on the secondhand market doesn’t appear to actually play like it’s supposed to. I tried writing copies of this decrypted rip on different blanks and different burners, different speeds, etc; and they all skip at the same spot so I can only assume the player is at fault.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MrRom92 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:12 am
Yeah, I do prefer that 1:1 disc experience that would behave as if I just popped the actual disc in. Most of my collection is on store bought discs anyway so this isn’t a major problem, but it is frustrating that the odd copy I may have here and there of a disc that’s rare/OOP and too expensive to buy on the secondhand market doesn’t appear to actually play like it’s supposed to. I tried writing copies of this decrypted rip on different blanks and different burners, different speeds, etc; and they all skip at the same spot so I can only assume the player is at fault.
or like i said its the fake play list protection and makes the pirated or what they think is a pirated movie have playback errors
try playing it back on the pc you burned it on see if its the same
MrRom92

Post by MrRom92 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:35 am
MrRom92 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:12 am
or like i said its the fake play list protection and makes the pirated or what they think is a pirated movie have playback errors
try playing it back on the pc you burned it on see if its the same
I tried playing the copied disc directly in powerdvd as well as the files ripped from the original in VLC, both played without skipping. It is only playing the copied disc in a player that is skipping at precisely the same point everytime. I watched a bit more of the movie and it turns out that it skips quite a bit after that as well.