Slow BD Playing and Ripping with two different drives

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Kryptonic

Slow BD Playing and Ripping with two different drives

Post by Kryptonic »

Hi, I've been using a Pioneer XD07B as my BD player for my Windows PC for months now and haven't had any issues playing or using it with MakeMKV to rip discs. And then suddenly it just stopped playing or ripping at anything more than 0.1x or 0.2x. I figured the drive had crapped out so I bought an Asus BW-16D1X and it's doing the exact same thing. I've updated Windows twice now and nothing. I can't find any concrete answer as to why this would be happening with two different drives. My PC is running normal. Plenty of HD space. USB ports and are working fine with everything else and drivers are updated. I've ripped hundreds of discs in the last year and now for some reason the read speeds are at a crawl! Any help would be welcome!
foucaultm

Re: Slow BD Playing and Ripping with two different drives

Post by foucaultm »

I am having the same problem. Out of nowhere, my read speeds have plummeted dramatically on several different blurays and 4Ks. The process is the same every time. It starts out normally, and about 8 minutes or so into the rip, the speed drops off. Any help would be most welcome!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

First guess is that your output is being speed-limited, and you get fast speeds while the (default) 512MB write buffer is not full.

A quick way to test this is to make it smaller - Preferences->IO, set the read buffer to 64MB. Does the slowdown begin sooner?

I notice this when I have a network issue. The last two times it was cables that failed in a way that 100Mb/s was still available, but gigabit was not. After MakeMKV said it was finished ripping, it would continue to write. Before that, I discovered the computer I was testing had a 100Mb/s network interface, and writing could continue on for over a minute after reading the optical disk finished, on EVERY title ripped.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
foucaultm

Post by foucaultm »

Thanks, Woodstock. Since I'm essential just functional with computers and the attendant "lingo", exactly were would I be checking for this buffer? On the blu ray drive, or on the computer itself. Sorry for the need for further clarification, but this keeps happening no matter the computer or the disc (just tried again).

Much appreciated!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

foucaultm wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:45 pm
Thanks, Woodstock. Since I'm essential just functional with computers and the attendant "lingo", exactly were would I be checking for this buffer? On the blu ray drive, or on the computer itself. Sorry for the need for further clarification, but this keeps happening no matter the computer or the disc (just tried again).

Much appreciated!
In MakeMKV's preferences, there's an IO tab where you can change the setting.
preferences.jpg
preferences.jpg (59.47 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
foucaultm

Post by foucaultm »

Thank you, dcoke!
foucaultm

Post by foucaultm »

It looks like the problem is solved. When I checked the I/O, the buffer was on "auto". I switched it to "1024", and I just cranked out my Ran Blu-Ray in 30 minutes, hitting 24mb/s at one point. Thank you again to all the folks who responded with the solution!