Misflashed LG WH16NS40 (SVC NS40, April 2015): DosFlash?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
raywood

Misflashed LG WH16NS40 (SVC NS40, April 2015): DosFlash?

Post by raywood »

There is a case to be made that I followed instructions ... just the wrong ones. Be that as it may, I now have a largely unresponsive WH16NS40, old style. I seem to be stuck with the "CheckSum is mismatched" error, that is, and no apparent way to revert from firmware version 1.05.

Some sources suggest that, at this point, DOSFlash is my best if not only hope. I am unfortunately not finding clear instructions on its use. For instance, one source recommends a command like this:

Code: Select all

DOSFLASH R F0D0 1 A0 2 0 20 "origFlash.bin" 0
requiring several bits of hardware information that I lack (e.g., the port to which the command is directed, the proper answer for master/slave on a SATA system, size of flash chip in banks).

Is there a lucid guide to DOSFlash and/or information on how to identify the hardware information it requires?
d00zah

Re: Misflashed LG WH16NS40 (SVC NS40, April 2015): DosFlash?

Post by d00zah »

From Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXgybNfHhcg - Obsolete but can be useful for recovery
only use the recovery steps for older NS40 drives!!:

Ok here's a summary of what you need to do

Try the recovery option in sdf tool if that fails do this:

Downgrade your drive to WH16NS60 1.00 with sdftool or makemkv command line
Full shutdown pull power plug or flip switch push power button for 10 seconds
Then reflash WH16NS60 1.00 again with the unlocked lg or Asus flasher
Full shutdown pull power plug or flip switch push power button for 10 seconds
Then boot in to your dosflash bottable and dump the firmware
Use the transfer tool to your correct firmware and flash it.

NS40 Recovery Image:
Flashed an NS50 firmware to an NS40 drive and can no longer read disks this IMG has all the NS40 FW you need to recover your drive just follow my dos flash video guide linked above
https://www.mediafire.com/file/8by2zqop ... D.zip/file
raywood

Post by raywood »

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I have already tried those steps. I've blogged the effort in detail, if you would like to read up on it. Maybe you'll see something in the writeup that I have overlooked.

Not sure how the URL code works in this forum, so I'll just give the link: https://raywoodcockslatest.wordpress.co ... -firmware/

That's why I'm asking about DOSFlash.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Watch my dos flash video and use Marty's img for it your making It 10x harder for your self using actually dos use the dos flash gui
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
raywood

Post by raywood »

I appreciate the well-meaning advice. But unless someone can look at my writeup and tell me what I'm missing, I can only repeat that I have already done what you guys keep suggesting and it didn't work.

You may be right that the DOS approach will be much harder. The question for me is, where do I find a guide to the DOS approach, so that I can see for myself why you are saying that?

I've been using DOS for almost 40 years. I'm not super-excited about it, but I'll deal with it. But I'll ask again: could someone please point me toward an explanation of the DOSFlash approach?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

raywood wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:51 am
I've been using DOS for almost 40 years. I'm not super-excited about it, but I'll deal with it. But I'll ask again: could someone please point me toward an explanation of the DOSFlash approach?
Everyone is pointing you to the relevant YouTube video on using DOS Flash. d00zah even linked to it explicitly.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

raywood wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:51 am
I appreciate the well-meaning advice. But unless someone can look at my writeup and tell me what I'm missing, I can only repeat that I have already done what you guys keep suggesting and it didn't work.

You may be right that the DOS approach will be much harder. The question for me is, where do I find a guide to the DOS approach, so that I can see for myself why you are saying that?

I read your write up the reason port.io on dosnflash won't install is because your on a 64 bit system as my video guide says you need a 32 bit windows portable or regular install I do know how to do it through dos but I'm not going to tell you when there is a easier way and it will only confuse someone else later
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Shadow71

Post by Shadow71 »

Thanks for all of the great information.
8-)

I'm pretty new to ripping. But finally broke down as I was upgrading my system, lack of storage space and OS drive space, and built a NAS. I have at least 250-300 DVDs and 450 BDs

The info in the second post worked for me.
I recovered my 2015 WH16N40-NS40, which was on OEM 1.00.
I flashed to OEM 1.01 and then 1.02, but it wouldn't go to 1.03 or 1.05.
I was able to flash it to BE-1.05_NS50 and it bricked.
Was able to flash down to BE/MK-1.03_NS50 and BE/MK-1.02_NS50.
The OEM firmware either 1.01 or 1.02 changed the SVC to NS50. But that must not be the true case.
The drive does read as a MT1939.

Am I at a good point and left it alone?

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Revision: 1.02
Firmware date: 2114-05-07 10:26
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 68

LibreDrive Information