Problems with The Princess Bride Blu-Ray rip

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Mac-Man

Problems with The Princess Bride Blu-Ray rip

Post by Mac-Man »

Hey Everyone,

Please forgive me if I've disregarded protocol. I'm trying to rip my Princess Bride BD to store on a hard drive I'm making for road trips. When I get MakeMKV cooking on a title export, after a few minutes, it reports a failure with this text:
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input

Does this mean my disc is bad, or has anyone else had trouble with this movie?

If I try a full disc backup, MakeMKV reports that it's successfully completed the copy; however, the main movie, 00057.m2ts, is unplayable with VLC. The opening title will display with lots of visual glitches for a few seconds before stopping completely.

Here're my software versions:
OS 10.6.6
MakeMKV 1.6.3 (Feb evaluation key)
VLC 1.1.7
MacBookPro6,1 with 8GB ram
LG WH10LS30

Hope someone here can help.

Thanks,
Chico
setarip_old

Re: Problems with The Princess Bride Blu-Ray rip

Post by setarip_old »

HI!

Sounds like a dirty or physically damaged disc.

Try cleaning the disc. If that doesn't resolve your problem, return the disc to the original place of purchase in exchange for a replacement...

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please enable debug messages per http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8/catid/6 and post debug log here.
captain

Post by captain »

Ok. I have the same problem. One of the cleanest discs I've ever seen. It failed on ripping the main feature, so I tried a backup, here's the log:

log and files zipped and emailed to support@makemkv.com
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

I ripped my BD of The Princess Bride without any problem, about a week ago. I have since watched it all the way through, and there are no problems that I've noticed. Obviously my experience isn't terribly valuable to you, but it does let you know that this isn't a problem with all Princess Bride BDs.

Good luck,
Dave
captain

Re: Problems with The Princess Bride Blu-Ray rip SOLVED

Post by captain »

Mike was absolutely right! The super-clean disc was failing despite looking spotless to my eye. On later inspection, just before I returned it for a new disc, I noticed that it had weird "waves" across the surface, like an old rolled-glass window pane. Anyway, the NEW disc just ripped without a single problem, even the HD audio track, so either they re-encoded the disc, or that one disc, which I had been struggling with, was indeed defective.

This is heartening! Not only is MakeMKV working better and better, but now it seems that it can be used as a Disc *tester*! Test all your discs immediately, and return any that aren't 100%! They may play in your PS3, but in doing so they are destroying your blu-ray drive by demanding too much error correction (just my theory as to why THREE PS3 blu-ray drives died on me). You know you'll never get your money back down the road, so test on purchase day!

Now I'm worried about my huge collection though... If I find bad discs I'll just be sad, with no recourse. ;-P

Thanks Mike!
jonatan72

Post by jonatan72 »

Hi everyone,
I have the same problem too, but my BD is a spanish edition and some years later so I think there is a different problem but nothing about scratched discs. I can see something that could produce the same effect. When you look at any Blu-ray disc from the track face against the light you can see the art in the other side. In this case you can see Westley's sword, it looks like a thin line crossing the disc from center in radial direction. I wonder it could looks like a scratch for the laser so it can read it fine. Don't you ever seen a disc scratched on the art side?
Thanks.

Debug info:
Guardando 1 t?tulos en el directorio /Users/jonatan/Movies/LA_PRINCESA_PROMETIDA
DEBUG: Code 149 at yhdcBatCQd$9fi4gAa&:121267316
DEBUG: Code 0 at yhdcBatCQd$9fi4gAa&:121262417
DEBUG: Code 0 at yhdcBatCQd$9fi4gAa&:121262210
DEBUG: Code 0 at :[}mi-}:cvnlj\.}R{|@Y:29398369
DEBUG: Code 0 at :[}mi-}:cvnlj\.}R{|@Y:121266925
DEBUG: Code 0 at =,j~_8i>>::G\m*u\`Q:213130697
DEBUG: Code 0 at =,j~_8i>>::G\m*u\`Q:121263958
DEBUG: Code 0 at =,j~_8i>>::G\m*u\`Q:213131801
DEBUG: Code 0 at =,j~_8i>>::G\m*u\`Q:29397564
DEBUG: Code 0 at *~BVofbTWvxn<+uB:213130122
DEBUG: Code 0 at :[}mi-}:cvnlj\.}R{|@Y:29398369
DEBUG: Code 0 at :[}mi-}:cvnlj\.}R{|@Y:121266925
DEBUG: Code 0 at :[}mi-}:cvnlj\.}R{|@Y:29398645
DEBUG: Code 0 at '>WD)hq&S}fl?"k@bX:213135067
DEBUG: Code 0 at '>WD)hq&S}fl?"k@bX:213135481
Fallo al guardar el t?tulo 0 en el archivo /Users/jonatan/Movies/LA_PRINCESA_PROMETIDA/title00.mkv
0 t?tulos guardados, 1 fallaron

AcercaMac.png
AcercaMac.png (41.38 KiB) Viewed 10580 times
AcercaMakeMKV.png
AcercaMakeMKV.png (36.05 KiB) Viewed 10580 times