Video tearing when there is intense lightning

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Linedawg

Video tearing when there is intense lightning

Post by Linedawg »

Has anyone encountered an issues with intense lighting in a movie or TV causing video tearing for the duration of the lighting?

So far I have encountered this issue in the following movies and shows.

1. Friday the 13th Part V
2. Friday the 13th Part VI
3. Fallen Skies S02E10

This does not happen with normal lighting, just when it becomes very very bright. This has been going on for the past few versions of the software, I have even tried this on different hardware. No matter where I try to convert the Blu-Ray i always get this issue. The attached image is an example of it.

MakeMKV Software Version (On last attempt) v1.16.3 [win(x64-relase)]
Has anyone else seen this?
preserve

Re: Video tearing when there is intense lightning

Post by preserve »

Yes, this isn’t related to MakeMKV however. MakeMKV simply copies the video stream exactly as it is. If you step through the video frame by frame, you’ll see no issues.

It’s a playback issue. Basically, it is related to the refresh rate of your display device and/or your output. Someone else can explain the technical details in more detail ;)
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Linedawg

Re: Video tearing when there is intense lightning

Post by Linedawg »

Holy cow, I did not even think to look at it frame by frame, but you are correct. The tear I was seeing in my playback is not present in frames. Also I tried to convert the file to MP4 and it was fine as well. Thank you very much for having me check that, it has put my mint at ease. Thank you so much.
preserve wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:58 pm
Yes, this isn’t related to MakeMKV however. MakeMKV simply copies the video stream exactly as it is. If you step through the video frame by frame, you’ll see no issues.

It’s a playback issue. Basically, it is related to the refresh rate of your display device and/or your output. Someone else can explain the technical details in more detail ;)