LibreDrive might be supported in future msg?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
pete_agreatguy

LibreDrive might be supported in future msg?

Post by pete_agreatguy »

Hi all,

I've been using MakeMKV (currently using 1.16.3) along with handbrake to rip my blu rays to my media drive for a while now and never come across this issue before.

I'm ripping Shrek blu rays. The first three have ripped no issues. Though with the forth blu ray disk, MakeMKV is providing the following information:

Type = No disc.
Label = [blank]
Protection = [blank]
LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8600
Firmware version: ID61

No disc inserted
Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-209D
Revision: 1.51
Serial number: PLDL083119WL
Firmware date: 2018-05-08
Bus encryption flags: 13
Highest AACS version: 68
I can't even play this disc in PowerDVD 19.

Is it possible to fix this? If so, how? To my knowledge my firmware is up to date.

Do I need to purchase a new blu ray drive?
Enthoo Pro TG, SS 850W Plat, Asus ROG Crossair Hero VII, AMD 3700X, 16GB GSkill 3600, EVGA GTX1080 8GB, Corsair nvme, SS 860 Evo, Win 10 Pro x64
Woodstock

Re: LibreDrive might be supported in future msg?

Post by Woodstock »

Pioneer hardware is something Mike wants to support with LD, but it is not there yet. Until he has it ready, the firmware in the drive does not matter a lot - it won't accept the upload of patches to disable it protection methods, so you have to rely on the older methods.

Normally, it isn't as important on non-UHD BDs, unless you encounter a version of AACS higher than your current version of MakeMKV supports.

If you want to handle UHD disks in the near future, I'd suggest going for one of the UHD-friendly drives mentioned here. But hang on to the Pioneer drive if you want to WRITE disks, because Pioneer drives have a better reputation for writing disks than the "Friendly" drives.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
pete_agreatguy

Post by pete_agreatguy »

Hi Woodstock, many thanks for your reply.

The disc in question is not a UHD disk.

I've also noticed that File Explorer doesn't pick it up.

Do you know what would cause this? My drive picks up the other three movies with no issue :/

Should I report this to Pioneer?
Enthoo Pro TG, SS 850W Plat, Asus ROG Crossair Hero VII, AMD 3700X, 16GB GSkill 3600, EVGA GTX1080 8GB, Corsair nvme, SS 860 Evo, Win 10 Pro x64
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Perhaps try cleaning the disc.
pete_agreatguy

Post by pete_agreatguy »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:31 am
Perhaps try cleaning the disc.
Agreed. No scratches. Cleaned. It's a brand new boxset. Beginning to suspect the disc. I'll get it tested in a blu ray player (I don't own one other than my PC).

I'll report back to confirm the suspicion.

EDIT: How can I tell if a blu ray disc is a "M disc"? My blu ray drive doesn't support M discs so wondering if that is the reason why also.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

As I understand it, M-Disc is a way to burn data onto a special optical disc that is supposed give it a longer shelf life. It should be readable by most players, but it takes special support in the burner to create them. I also don't think it likely that you'd purchase a commercial disc that is a M-Disc.
pete_agreatguy

Post by pete_agreatguy »

Hi all,

Problem discovered. Original disk seem to be faulty.

A replacement disk has worked without any issues :)

Thank you for all your aid on this one.