Question on different region Blu-Rays

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
oobedoob

Question on different region Blu-Rays

Post by oobedoob »

Looking to complete a set and the other Blu-Ray disc is no longer in print and available in the US/Region A with the English language (thanks Aniplex), but is widely available in the EU/Region B. I don't care much about trying to play the disc directly and want to more or less just rip them for my media server. Would there be any issues with having my Blu-Ray drive reading the disc and MakeMKV ripping the video off the disc if I were to purchase one?
Woodstock

Re: Question on different region Blu-Rays

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV doesn't care about region coding on BDs. If you rip everything, you'll find a number of short files that say "this content is not viewable in your region" or similar, but you'll also have all the content.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
oobedoob

Post by oobedoob »

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. Will give it a shot. The Blu-ray volume is fairly cheap for the region B so won't be that bad to give it a shot.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Do you need your optical drive to be a LibreDrive for MakeMKV not to care about region? Or will any drive work?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I've been ripping out-of-region BDs for some time before LibreDrive came about. BD regions are apparently enforced at the menu level, which is convenient.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging