Playlist files with timecodes?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
karbre

Playlist files with timecodes?

Post by karbre »

I recently got hold of the OOP Eureka UK release of Season 1 of the Wolf Creek TV Series.

When trying to rip it, I encountered something I have never seen before:
Disc 1 houses the first three episodes. There are three playlists for the three episodes, which are all separate m2ts files.
When ripping them, I noticed that the produced MKVs were significantly longer than what my standalone Blu-ray player showed as the total episode time. I investigated this and noticed that the episode MKVs - and the m2ts files to begin with - contain some AV data before and after the actual episode (almost 5 minutes total; authoring studio credits before the episode, and what looks like menu backgrounds after the episode).

Obviously, I do not want this extra data in my MKV. I want that the MKV contains exactly what my Blu-ray player plays when I select the episode in the disc's menu.

I remember reading somewhere that an mpls playlist file can contain not only an order of m2ts files (as used for seamless branching), but also timecodes for those m2ts files that indicate what parts of the m2ts shall be played. Can it be that such data is available here but is ignored by MakeMKV?

I have attached the PLAYLIST and CLIPINF folders of disc 1. Maybe someone can have a look and enlighten me with what is going on.

P.S.: As a side-note as this is not strictly MakeMKV related: Does anyone have an idea why my Blu-ray player shows the episodes as "1920x1080/50i", but MediaInfo shows both the m2ts and the produced MKV as 25 FPS progressive? (Blu-ray.com also states 1080/50i)
Attachments
playlists.zip
PLAYLIST and CLIPINF folders of disc 1
(66.95 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
dcoke22

Re: Playlist files with timecodes?

Post by dcoke22 »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24777

This seems to be a thing that occasionally happens with UK releases. The link above should help you understand what's going on.
karbre

Re: Playlist files with timecodes?

Post by karbre »

Thank you. I could not find corresponding threads with my search keywords.