MakeMKV Starts The Process But Then Stops

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
MisterSir

MakeMKV Starts The Process But Then Stops

Post by MisterSir »

Hi all. My apologies if there is an answer for this elsewhere but, I couldn't find it.

I have the LG WH16NS60 enclosed in a Vantec NST-536S3-BK 5.25 case. I flashed the 1.02 firmware. I have MakeMKV v1.16.3. Everything is fine until I click the make mkv button to start the process. It works for a few seconds and then it freezes on me even though I see the lights blinking on my drive. No bars are moving in the MakeMKV GUI and the time remaining just keeps going up and up and I can hear my drive spinning.

Any suggestions?
MisterSir

Re: MakeMKV Starts The Process But Then Stops

Post by MisterSir »

I think I've figured what is happening but not a solution to the problem. First I needed to installa Java Runtime but the main issue is I think my drive keeps getting disconnected because in the log I keep getting the error, "this device does not exist". I have attached a log file.

I know this has something to do with the OS and not MakeMKV but, is there a fix for this?
Attachments
MakeMKV Log.txt
(32.22 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Code: Select all

Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED' occurred while reading '/BDMV/JAR/03000/background.jpg' at offset '0'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED' occurred while reading '/BDMV/JAR/03000/bluray_project.bin' at offset '0'
Error 'OS error - This device does not exist' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60 1.02' at offset '4521984'
Error 'OS error - This device does not exist' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60 1.02' at offset '4556800'
Error 'OS error - This device does not exist' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60 1.02' at offset '4521984'
Error 'OS error - This device does not exist' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60 1.02' at offset '4556800'
Error 'OS error - This device does not exist' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00012.m2ts' at offset '0'
Error 'OS error - This device does not exist' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00012.m2ts' at offset '0'
Seems like your drive isn't properly powered. Does this case come with a plug?
MisterSir

Post by MisterSir »

Seems like your drive isn't properly powered. Does this case come with a plug?
Yes. It comes with a power adapter which I have connected. It of course comes with a USB 3.0 cable which I also have connected. Any ideas of what to do?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Those errors indicate that the OS can no longer see the drive. In USB powered enclosures, this usually means that MakeMKV tried to read data fast enough that the drive exceeded the power available. When that happens, the drive usually disappears from the OS. The solution in those cases is to plug in the second USB plug for extra power and make sure if there's a USB hub involved that it has its own power supply.

In this case with a desktop case with its own power supply you would think that power wouldn't be an issue. I don't have much experience with Vantec cases. I suppose the case could be defective. So could the drive for that matter. Is the case or drive new or have they been working for a while? Do you use this optical drive for anything else and does that work?
MisterSir

Post by MisterSir »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:12 pm
Those errors indicate that the OS can no longer see the drive. In USB powered enclosures, this usually means that MakeMKV tried to read data fast enough that the drive exceeded the power available. When that happens, the drive usually disappears from the OS. The solution in those cases is to plug in the second USB plug for extra power and make sure if there's a USB hub involved that it has its own power supply.

In this case with a desktop case with its own power supply you would think that power wouldn't be an issue. I don't have much experience with Vantec cases. I suppose the case could be defective. So could the drive for that matter. Is the case or drive new or have they been working for a while? Do you use this optical drive for anything else and does that work?
Yes, I figured it was requiring more amps than both the USB 3.0 and the power supply can provide. This problem is not only happening with MakeMKV but also with VLC and DVDfab. I suppose it could be a faulty enclosure even though it is brand new but might just be the enclosure is junk. The Blu Ray writer is also brand new. I don't have the option of using a Y splitter cable since this case comes with its own style USB port and, rather than try to find a Y splitter to match, I have decided to go a different route.

With my PC case, I cannot install the burner inside. So, since the only SATA slots I have on my motherboard are SATA6G, I have purchased a SATA Power 2-in-1 Extension Cord which will let me connect SATA6G to SATA 22-pin, a SATA 22 Pin Male to SATA 22 Pin Female Adapter which will let me connect the extension cord to one side, and a 22-Pin Power and Data SATA Extension Cable which will let me connect the Blu Ray Writer to the other side of the SATA 22 Pin Male to SATA 22 Pin Female Adapter.

I may keep the enclosure just to have the Blu Ray writer in. I will post my results in a few days when I get the parts and, hopefully, if it works (which I don't see why it wouldn't) others can benefit from it.

Thanks.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It might be that the power plug is faulty. They usually have the voltage and polarity printed on them somewhere. If you have another power plug that's compatible lying around it might be worth giving it a try in an attempt to narrow down the problem.
MisterSir

Post by MisterSir »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:09 pm
It might be that the power plug is faulty. They usually have the voltage and polarity printed on them somewhere. If you have another power plug that's compatible lying around it might be worth giving it a try in an attempt to narrow down the problem.
I tried a different power supply that was compatible. Still having the same issue so it has to be the enclosure.
MisterSir

Post by MisterSir »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:09 pm
So I got all the parts I ordered, I powered the drive directly from the motherboard. Had to mod my case to make a little slot for the Sata 22-pin adapter but looks nice. Modded the Vantec enclosure; I shortened it so the end of the drive case would be flush to the back side. I connected the other end of the Sata 22-pin cable to the drive and voila! No more power loss. Been ripping and backing up all my stuff. The Vantec enclosure was the culprit.