Columbo series 1

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
morbius

Columbo series 1

Post by morbius »

Odd issue, opening Columbo series 1 disc 1 on blu ray in 1.16.3 has 3 titles with run-times 78:27, 78:25 and 78:20. the ripped files have pre- and post-episode test-card/blank filler that is not there when I play the disc in a regulary bluray player, which reports the correct episode runtimes as 75:57, 75:54 and 75:50. So makemkv is not seeing the episode titles in the same way that my Panny player does. Of course I can fix the mkv's with mkvtoolnix, but that will be a chore to do with every episode, and it would be good to know what the root cause is, if anyone has any ideas?

Just to add, makemkv does report skipped titles when opening the disc, and I wonder if it's getting that slightly wrong? Is there a way to open with all titles visible? I will take a full backup and work from there.
Gryphon

Re: Columbo series 1

Post by Gryphon »

I ran into that myself recently with a kickstarter blu-ray (the new Zappa documentary that came out at the beginning of March). See also this recent thread.

I assume that extra video is intended to be removed before the discs are mastered but people occasionally forget to do it, so they set it up so it won't get played if it's accidentally left in.

As for skipping titles, you can change the minimum title length somewhere in the preferences. Setting it to zero should get you every single title on the disc.
morbius

Re: Columbo series 1

Post by morbius »

thanks, I tried tsMuxer from a full-disc backup and at first it was promising, since in the GUI I appeared to have playlist entries with the correct runtimes, but the exported video had the test card stuck on the front and blank filler at the end. so perhaps tsMuxer has the same problem. For now it looks like I have to fix with mkvtoolnix?