Criterion Wong Kar Wai Box Set disc issues?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
caycep

Criterion Wong Kar Wai Box Set disc issues?

Post by caycep »

Just got my preorder for the Criterion World of Wong Kar Was box set, and went about my usual digitizing to put everything on my home plex server. I'm getting SCSI read issues, from something like 5 of the 7 discs. I've tried wiping the discs w/ diluted dawn dish soap but still no dice. Has anyone else had any luck with this? I tried the manual file copy trick but it's still giving data read errors.

Maybe it's the drive - it's an older LG UH10SL20S - it burps out a few read errors once in a while but maybe I ought to replace it and try it again before giving up...
preserve

Re: Criterion Wong Kar Wai Box Set disc issues?

Post by preserve »

This would fall under rip errors and specifically read issues, from the type of error message you mention, it sounds as if the drive is having a problem reading the discs.

One thing in addition to the advice in the linked thread that you may want to try is just shut down everything and give it a fresh start, and don't do anything else on your system while trying to rip.

Another thing to try is a different drive. I use an old DVD drive when I have DVD issues on my main drive, and I've never had a Blu-ray issue on my main drive but if I did, I could also use my UHD drive as an alternate.

BUT in this case, it sounds as if it's not just you. Blu-ray.com is a good place to go and read their forums:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.ph ... st18775496
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Baggi0

Post by Baggi0 »

Hey
Same here, not too sure what's going on... from which retailer did you purchase the discs?
Baggi0

Post by Baggi0 »

Found the solution! There's a second subtitle track on some of the Blurays (English PGS (forced only)) that you must uncheck before ripping.
zakforsman

Post by zakforsman »

Baggi0 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:40 pm
Found the solution! There's a second subtitle track on some of the Blurays (English PGS (forced only)) that you must uncheck before ripping.
This worked for Chungking Express and 2046, but not In the Mood for Love. Did you have any luck with that title?

EDIT: Third times the charm. I gave it a second try with both Eng Subs removed and it completed successfully. Afterward, I tried once more with only the Forced Eng Subs deactivated and it also completed successfully.
caycep

Post by caycep »

note - I ended up just buying a newer drive (LG WH160 I think)....albeit learning more about drives, I probably should have done a hard shutdown of the computer to see if that helped...