Blu-rays with extra video in m2ts files

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
pixeluk

Re: Blu-rays with extra video in m2ts files

Post by pixeluk »

Oh and by the way - just to add to the annoyance a couple of Titles, e.g. Gotti (2018) the movie starts midway through Chapter 0! so double check your cut time point as you can't assume it's always Chapter 0 to remove!
pixeluk

Post by pixeluk »

Some more:
Miss Saigon 25th Anniversary (2016)
In Dubious Battle (2017)
Bounty Killer (2013)
Dead Rising Watchtower (2015)
Hitting the Apex (2015)
The Assassin (2015)
The Whale (2013)
Spooks The Greater Good (2015)
Better Watch Out (2016)
Christine (2016)
Sniper Special Ops (2016)
earlsven

Post by earlsven »

pixeluk wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:31 pm
In each case I've noticed the MKV has a Chapter 0 with the extra video at the start.

For anyone wanting to remove Chapter 0 from the MKV then I've found MKVToolNix can do this quite easily:

Start MKVToolNix, load the MKV into the Multplexer and Chapter Editor.

In chapter Editor make a note of the start time of Chapter 1 and the end time of the last Chapter for example a movie has Chapter 1 starts at 00:01:30 and the movie ends 01:47:50 - each mkv will be different.

In Multiplexer select Output
Select Split Mode: By parts based on timestamps
In Parts enter the time range to keep so for this example 00:01:30-01:47:50
Select the Destination file location
Click on Start Multiplexing

The resulting MKV will be exactly the same as before but with the Chapter 0 removed.

Hope that helps others.
Thanks for this set of instructions, one thing I did note is it's actually easier to use the split mode 'Before chapters' and simply put in a comma separated list of splits. So for my blu-ray of The Expanse Series 2 where the episodes rip with the title card AND some extra video on the end of the file it's then as easy as entering "2,6" in the box and I get three output files - the title cards, the actual episode, and the extra garbage on the end of the file. I did look at the 'Chapter List' tab to get an idea of what numbers to use but even though it labels the title card as '0' I still needed to tell MKVToolNix to split before chapter '2' as the splitting tool seems to start counting from 1 anyway.
pixeluk

Post by pixeluk »

a few more:
The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959)
The Skull (1965)
The Sound Barrier (1952)
morbius

Post by morbius »

karbre wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:05 pm
morbius wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:35 pm
I may have to go back to the editing method, my mkv's created with mkvtoolnix processing the mpls have terrible audio delay.
Could you sort that out or does it still hold? Did you notify the mkvtoolnix dev?
Apologies for not noticing this post. I have reported the audio sync issue with mpls processing to the mkvtoolnix developer and it is logged on the git tracker as bug 3082. As of v62.0 it is not yet fixed. A shame as otherwise this would be a very elegant way of overcoming the problem that makemkv has, but of course fixing this at source would be the best-possible outcome.
pixeluk

Post by pixeluk »

A few more:
Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)
The Black Cat (1934)
The Raven (1935)
Ferrett1983

Post by Ferrett1983 »

Does anyone know whether this problem is going to be fixed. I've come across a few movies of late with extra m2ts attached to the file with nothing but black video. I've also seen a few with coloured bars and even what seems to be jumbled up video just before the main presentation starts.
morbius

Post by morbius »

Ferrett1983 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:00 pm
Does anyone know whether this problem is going to be fixed. I've come across a few movies of late with extra m2ts attached to the file with nothing but black video. I've also seen a few with coloured bars and even what seems to be jumbled up video just before the main presentation starts.
In lieu of an update to makemkv that fixes this I went back to my Columbo Series 1 bluray to see how to fix it, and am posting the following in case helpful. I had hoped that using mkvtoolnix to process the mpls file would work, but unfortunately the audio sync was way off.

Getting rid of the pre-title test card on every episode was easy, as I could just split before chapter 2 and get an mkv with a clean start to the actual video. Getting rid of the redundant black screen playback at the end was more challenging. As far as I can tell, mkvtoolnix will only split on a key frame. So even if I get the exact timestamp of the last key frame using ffprobe, the resulting mkv will be slightly clipped, as the remaining non-key frames are dropped (a fade-out on the title at the end). However, I noticed that ffprobe was reporting the exact duration for the correct run time as well as the incorrect extended duration including the black screen (the duration that vlc player, kodi etc use). So suppose the correct run-time turns out to be something like 4550.216 seconds, I was then able to use ffmpeg to pull a perfect mkv, using something like

ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -t 4550.216 -c:v copy -c:a copy "output name.mkv"

Possibly there is a more elegant way of doing this, but the resuling mkv's are perfect down to the very last frame.
Ferrett1983

Post by Ferrett1983 »

morbius wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:20 pm
Ferrett1983 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:00 pm
Thank you do much for posting your methods, it's very much appreciated. I've finally found a program which does exactly what we're looking for. The program is called
'dgdemux' it's a program which is very good with seamless branching discs and gives you many options. The program has worked flawlessly so far and I highly recommend it for any seamless branching movies.

In lieu of an update to makemkv that fixes this I went back to my Columbo Series 1 bluray to see how to fix it, and am posting the following in case helpful. I had hoped that using mkvtoolnix to process the mpls file would work, but unfortunately the audio sync was way off.

Getting rid of the pre-title test card on every episode was easy, as I could just split before chapter 2 and get an mkv with a clean start to the actual video. Getting rid of the redundant black screen playback at the end was more challenging. As far as I can tell, mkvtoolnix will only split on a key frame. So even if I get the exact timestamp of the last key frame using ffprobe, the resulting mkv will be slightly clipped, as the remaining non-key frames are dropped (a fade-out on the title at the end). However, I noticed that ffprobe was reporting the exact duration for the correct run time as well as the incorrect extended duration including the black screen (the duration that vlc player, kodi etc use). So suppose the correct run-time turns out to be something like 4550.216 seconds, I was then able to use ffmpeg to pull a perfect mkv, using something like

ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -t 4550.216 -c:v copy -c:a copy "output name.mkv"

Possibly there is a more elegant way of doing this, but the resuling mkv's are perfect down to the very last frame.
Ferrett1983

Post by Ferrett1983 »

I've found another way of cutting/trimming video. Basically I use a program called Losslesscut to find the exact key frame and then enter that number in mkvmerge (mkvtoolnix) so if its the first two minutes I want rid of I'll find the exact position and time frame via losslesscut and then enter the number into mkvmerge e.g 00:02:00.969- which tells mkvmerge to cut the exact number away. Its also cut on a keyframe meaning no glitches due to not cutting on a keyframe.
morbius

Post by morbius »

How would that work with something like Columbo Series 1 blu ray (UK version) where the last key frame is not the last frame of the video (i.e. there are additional non key frames at the end for the end title fade-out). I was able to extract a full fade out using ffmpeg as I could get the timestamp of the last non key frame from ffprobe, but I could not find a way to get mkvtoolnix to avoid clipping on the end titles fade out, so gave up on it, but fortunately ffmpeg worked.

I was just reminded of this issue with makemkv as I just ripped the UK bluray of Hannah and Her Sisters, and the rip has test-card video at the start.
Ferrett1983

Post by Ferrett1983 »

morbius wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 6:18 pm
How would that work with something like Columbo Series 1 blu ray (UK version) where the last key frame is not the last frame of the video (i.e. there are additional non key frames at the end for the end title fade-out). I was able to extract a full fade out using ffmpeg as I could get the timestamp of the last non key frame from ffprobe, but I could not find a way to get mkvtoolnix to avoid clipping on the end titles fade out, so gave up on it, but fortunately ffmpeg worked.

I was just reminded of this issue with makemkv as I just ripped the UK bluray of Hannah and Her Sisters, and the rip has test-card video at the start.
Hi Morbius,

I'm trying to get what your saying....so basically your saying that the last iframe (keyframe) was actually part of the end credits? I've been using avidemux gui for theast few weeks to cut any logos or any unwanted stuff out and I'm pleased with the results. Basically you click the left/right arrows until you get to an iframe and then you choose to cut at that destination. It's really simple and cuts cleanly, only thing is I'm not sure how it would work in your case as the last keyframe is part of the credits. ffmpeg is supposed to be fantastic but I struggle with anything commandline
morbius

Post by morbius »

The Columbo S1 UK blu-ray has the Universal Studios logo at the end of the credits, with the fanfare theme for the audio. When trimming the non-public video tail I could not find any way to keep the logo and audio cleanly via mkvtoolnix as it always clips on the last keyframe (apologies if this is not quite the correct term). It's an extremely short clip, but it's not right. Per other posts, I was able to delete the non-public video perfectly without clipping the logo fanfare via use of command line processing.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

The UK version of Logan Lucky (2017) is another disc that has this extra video at both the start and the end.

I trimmed it manually using MKVToolNix but it would obviously be preferable if MakeMKV added the ability to parse the relevant data to avoid ripping these redundant parts of the video.