Bluray audio

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
maximln

Bluray audio

Post by maximln »

I'm new to this ripping game and I had great success with DVD's but I am having an audio issue with blurays as in I get no audio. I'm sure it is a setting but I cannot figure it out. I have tried it several times but still no audio. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Max
Woodstock

Re: Bluray audio

Post by Woodstock »

"No audio" can mean many things.

One, your playback environment does not support the audio that was ripped from the disk.
Two, you didn't select any audio to be ripped.

The first you can check by trying to play the MKV in a player that understands more audio codecs, like VLC.

The second can happen when you have set a "Preferred language" and the source disk doesn't have tracks in that language. Removing the preferred audio setting will let MakeMKV rip any language track, but you can also view which tracks have been selected by expanding the title list in the left window.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
maximln

Post by maximln »

Thank you so much for your reply. I have done several DVD's and I have no problem with the audio. It plays both from the file on my computer as well as when I put the file on a USB drive & plug it into my tv. Video & audio are perfect. When I do the blu-ray, the video is perfect but there is no audio on my computer or on my tv when I copy the file onto a USB driver. My TV gives me a message "there is no audio for this file".

I have tried expanding title list and de-selecting & selecting different combos but I still get no audio. I'm sure it is a setting. I will look for the "Preferred language" setting & see if this helps.

Thanks again for your reply!

Max
maximln

Post by maximln »

Still is not working. Is it because it's a commercial bluray? Maybe it has some sort of technology to block it?

Max
maximln

Post by maximln »

This is very strange. I just tried a different program & I got the exact same results. Perfect video but no audio. I wonder what I am doing wrong??

Max
maximln

Post by maximln »

OK. I am starting to figure this out a little bit. But just a little bit. lol You were of course right. I downloaded the VLC player & sure enough, there is audio. From the looks of it, it is DTS audio and plays perfectly in the VLC player. I put the file on a USB drive and again tried to play it on my TV but I get a message saying audio is not supported. I also have a Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player & I tried to play it on that as well and I get the same error message. I have a 77" LG OLEDCX as well as the Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player connected to a Denon 6500 which of course supports DTS audio. Hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction as to what I am doing wrong. I am inserting the codec information for my file from the VLC player.

Thank you for any help that you might offer!

Max

Well, I thought I would insert it but I seem to be unable to upload a jpeg. I will list instead list all the info it says.

Stream 0
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Language: English
Type: Video
Video Resolution: 1920x 1080
Buffer Dimensions: 1920x 1088
Frame rate: 23.976216
Decoded format:
Orientation: Top left
Chroma location: Left
Stream 1
Codec: DTS Audio (dts)
Type: Audio
Channels: Stereo
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bits per sample: 32
Stream 2
Codec: DTS Audio (dts)
Description: Stereo
Type: Audio
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/w2 ... share.html

In the 'Viewing Photos and Videos' section of the User Guide for LG OLED CX TVs, it lists a bunch of supported formats. In MKV containers, for audio, DTS is not a supported option. AAC is a supported option. MakeMKV will convert an audio track to AAC during a rip if you pick that option in the 'Profile' drop down box on the right.

Or you could consider a different playback solution.
maximln

Post by maximln »

dcoke22! Thank you so much for that info! I am apparently late to the party! I am kind of new to this rip process. I incorrectly assumed that since the sound was passing through to my receiver that the receiver would be doing the decoding. It did not occur to me that the tv had anything to do with it since I was not using the tv speakers. I also tried plugging the USB into the Panasonic UHD player and I also got no sound so it must not accept DTS either. I even tried plugging the USB straight into the Denon but it apparently only plays music files. I will definitely try to change the audio track to AAC.

Another question. If I rip a blu-ray movie that has an Atmos track, will Atmos still work using the AAC audio track? My ultimate goal would be to be able to plug in the USB drive into my LG TV and have it send the Atmos or TrueHD or DTS MA to the Denon receiver to play on my audio system. Do I need to purchase some other piece of equipment to do that? Is ripping a 4k blu-ray the same process?

You are a wealth of information! I was just reading the link you posted about the different formats. It said I could use a 2 TB USB storage device?? That thought never occurred to me! I thought I could only use thumb drives. Can I use bigger than 2TB? I have been using 128 gb thumb drives but it said I could only use 32 gb. It also recommends using a powered HDD but the ones I am looking at are not. Does it make a difference?

Thank you again so much for your time & assistance!

Max
maximln

Post by maximln »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:04 am
http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/w2 ... share.html

In the 'Viewing Photos and Videos' section of the User Guide for LG OLED CX TVs, it lists a bunch of supported formats. In MKV containers, for audio, DTS is not a supported option. AAC is a supported option. MakeMKV will convert an audio track to AAC during a rip if you pick that option in the 'Profile' drop down box on the right.

Or you could consider a different playback solution.
dcoke22-I have looked everywhere. I cannot find a 'Profile' drop down box to select AAC for an option. Where exactly is it?

Thanks,

Max
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

maximln wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:15 pm
Another question. If I rip a blu-ray movie that has an Atmos track, will Atmos still work using the AAC audio track?
Transcoding the audio to AAC, you will lose Dolby Atmos. In the short term, however, you will have audio (assuming it works).
maximln wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:15 pm
You are a wealth of information! I was just reading the link you posted about the different formats. It said I could use a 2 TB USB storage device?? That thought never occurred to me! I thought I could only use thumb drives. Can I use bigger than 2TB? I have been using 128 gb thumb drives but it said I could only use 32 gb. It also recommends using a powered HDD but the ones I am looking at are not. Does it make a difference?
It is recommending powered hard drives so that the drive doesn't have to be powered by the USB port. Thumb drives require a lot less power than a traditional hard drive. USB ports don't actually provide all that much power. A USB powered hard drive might or might not work on your TV.

The way lots of people end up doing this is to use something like Plex (https://www.plex.tv). Plex has a server component that can run on a computer, a Raspberry Pi, a NAS, or where ever. Plex has a client component that runs on phones, tablets, PCs, web browsers, streaming boxes, TVs, etc. You put your movie files on the server with as much storage as you need. It can live somewhere out of the way. The client(s) in your house stream from that server. Personally, I use Plex on a Raspberry Pi 4 with 13TB of attached storage. The client in my home theater is an Apple TV 4K. A friend of mine runs Plex server with 8TB on an old Windows PC sitting quietly in the corner of his computer room and the Plex app runs directly on his new TV. Yet another friend of mine has a used enterprise grade server with 180TB of storage that runs Plex server (and other things) in his basement. All the TVs in his house have some kind of streaming box (Fire TV, Roku, etc) that runs Plex.

Separating out the storage from the playback allows the noisy part to not live in your home theater and grow at the rate it needs to. It also allows one to play back to multiple screens at the same time. It doesn't have to be Plex (there are others like Kodi or Infuse for Apple stuff).
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

maximln wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 pm
dcoke22-I have looked everywhere. I cannot find a 'Profile' drop down box to select AAC for an option. Where exactly is it?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24729#p106288

I can't make a new screenshot for you at the moment. Hopefully that screenshot is clear enough.
maximln

Post by maximln »

Hmmm....it's all starting to make sense now! lol I do not have that "Advanced" tab in my preferences. I am still using the "free" version. Is that something I get when I upgrade to the paid version? I also do not have the "Profile" button.

Thank you again so much for all of your time & help!!

Max
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Enable "Expert mode" on the preferences General page, and Advanced will appear.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
maximln

Post by maximln »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:26 pm
I LOVE you Woodstock!! Thank you so much! It worked!

Max
maximln

Post by maximln »

maximln wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:33 pm
Woodstock wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:26 pm
I LOVE you Woodstock!! Thank you so much! It worked!

Max
Well Hallelujah!! I have sound!!! But it is very strange. When I start to play the file on my tv, I get an error message that says "This video file does not contain audio" just like it did before but then all of a sudden, the sound starts playing. Great! But weird. lol