RIP error Mea Culpa

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Mammoth

RIP error Mea Culpa

Post by Mammoth »

Hello all,

I began using MakeMKV only a few days ago, and I began to have errors ripping files from a couple of discs. I looked at several software options, including the DASPI kernel extension (which Big Sur doesn't like) and other options.

The MakeMKV page here ( https://www.makemkv.com/errors/read/ ) says that it _has_ to be the disc or drive. I shined that disc up like crazy. The drive is fine. And I began to grumble "_Sure_ it's not MakeMKV. No way. This disc doesn't have a spot or fingerprint on it!"

But then after a day messing with this off and on, I held the disc up to the light. Yep, a crack in the disc, right by Tom's nose. It shows up much better in the pic, I swear!

So, my apologies to Mike. (insert rueful face **Fancy Icons** here).
CrackedRiskyBusiness.jpg
CrackedRiskyBusiness.jpg (98.24 KiB) Viewed 7272 times
Woodstock

Re: RIP error Mea Culpa

Post by Woodstock »

Cracks around the hub can be a real problem, too. I have Last Starfighter where there's a chunk missing from the hub area, but it still rips.

But I'm still nervous when the packaging REALLY REALLY wants to hold on to the disk hub...
Mammoth

Re: RIP error Mea Culpa

Post by Mammoth »

As I look more closely, it looks like the hub is where the crack began. I'll have to be more careful about taking discs out of the cover. Thanks!