Chick Fight: Another Cursed Redbox Exclusive

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
KENSAI

Chick Fight: Another Cursed Redbox Exclusive

Post by KENSAI »

I rented "Chick Fight" on Blu-ray today and just like with "Ana", the Redbox disc is unreadable in any of my three DVD drives. One of them is very old which someone said worked for Ana, but no dice here. Anyone else seeing the same issue? I'm going to ask for a refund and try again with another disc rental, maybe I'll get lucky like I did with Ana - the first rental I got I was able to rip it without issue, then I bought the movie from Redbox and that copy was unable to be mounted on any of my drives.
Mikrax

Re: Chick Fight: Another Cursed Redbox Exclusive

Post by Mikrax »

Same. Windows doesn't recognize there is a disc in the drive [LG with 1.02 firmware]. MakeMKV says "No Disc Inserted".

It was able to play on a standalone player [Also LG] so there must be some technical difference somewhere along the way.
cuongluxury

Post by cuongluxury »

Yes me too
Lagislag

Post by Lagislag »

Likewise. Disappointed as I haven’t used a blue ray player in years.
KENSAI

Post by KENSAI »

I was able to exchange the disc for a replacement, and the new one was able to be ripped. So maybe just a bad disc...
xunil76

Post by xunil76 »

so, when this title had just been released, I rented it and it was able to be read, no problem.

however, I needed to re-encode it using a different codec, and I have gone through 5 (five!) of these steaming piles of doo-doo, and none of them have been readable in any of 8 optical drives that i have in my PC (all of these drives work just fine for any of my hundreds of other blu-ray discs, as well as other Redbox rentals).

looking at the shiny side, ALL of them have had slight defects in the read surface that you can only see if you hold it JUST right to catch the light in just the right way...so I'm guessing the quality control during the pressing process for this movie was a bit lax, and over time, these imperfections in the read layer develop.