Star Trek TNG

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
arrbee99

Star Trek TNG

Post by arrbee99 »

Am finally catching up with ripping The New Generation bluray box set. Am wondering if anyone found (for season one so far) that the length given is invariably longer than the length of the episode i.e. the episode length (in vlc) is 46m03s (a popular number) but the actual episode finishes about 30 sec earlier, credits finished and vlc just stops playing it (there being nothing more to play).

Ripped the whole of season one on one drive and ripped season 1 disc 2 using another drive to see if there was any difference, but there wasn't.

This is v1.15.1 in Windows.
Woodstock

Re: Star Trek TNG

Post by Woodstock »

There are differences in runtimes, and some of it can come from your playback environment. When you get to "The Measure of a Man", you'll find it is quite a bit longer than the broadcast time... lots of extra scenes added.

I have checked a few episodes from the DVD version vs. the BD version. 45:27 DVD, 47:22 BD. And yes, the BD version "cuts off" on playback at 45:18.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
arrbee99

Post by arrbee99 »

Well, not sure what you mean by playback environment, unless you mean using vlc. Also haven't got as far as the episode you mentioned yet.

OTOH, using MediaInfo to look at the episode 'The Battle', it says General Duration 46m03s, Video Duration 45m30s, Audio #1,2,3 Duration 45m30s...But Audio Duration for tracks #4,5,6,7,8 is 46m03s. So I guess that why the picture stops at 45m30s but episode is 46m03s long.

It does that for all the episodes I've done so far and its new to me, but I guess I have to accept it ? I'll probably be running them through Handbrake so those longer tracks might be going anyway.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Can't say for sure if they'll go away with handbrake - my handbrake script only took audio tracks 1 and 3, and that still comes up with the "false time".
arrbee99

Post by arrbee99 »

Seems to have worked so far, touch wood. Only Handbraked Season 1 Disc 1 but its chopped the blank ending off OK - finishes with CBS thingy then the end. Its probably just luck in that I'm just keeping all the English tracks and it seems the longer ones causing this little glitch are European / Japanese. Oh well, only 174 episodes to go...
preserve

Post by preserve »

Yup, audio track that is longer than the video track... I recall running into this before as well. A little bit annoying, but doesn't present any other issues.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
mykroft

Post by mykroft »

Has anyone also noticed with this series that some titles contain multiple episodes?? Anyone have an easy fix for that besides using Handbrake to splice things up properly?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

ST:TNG had some "two part" episodes that were broadcast as one long episode originally (the final episode was that way), but split into two for later syndication. When I ripped it two years ago, nothing seemed unusual.

ST:TOS on BD had two versions of every episode, one with original special effects, the other "enhanced" sfx. That didn't happen for TNG.
mykroft

Post by mykroft »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:11 pm
ST:TNG had some "two part" episodes that were broadcast as one long episode originally (the final episode was that way), but split into two for later syndication. When I ripped it two years ago, nothing seemed unusual.

ST:TOS on BD had two versions of every episode, one with original special effects, the other "enhanced" sfx. That didn't happen for TNG.
Yeah, I have noticed some two part episodes combined into one, which makes perfect sense. But I have seen two completely different episodes combined as well and that made no sense.
mykroft

Post by mykroft »

mykroft wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:21 am
Woodstock wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:11 pm

Yeah, I have noticed some two part episodes combined into one, which makes perfect sense. But I have seen two completely different episodes combined as well and that made no sense.
I figured this out. There are actually two sets of titles for the same episodes on these discs. There's a "play through" title that has all the episodes together into one title for the entire disc, then there are separate titles for each episode.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Hmmm... Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing that on SOME seasons (not all). But since my batch files for handbrake didn't mention splitting things, I must have ignored the play-alls. I have to do that for Funimation anime disks, too... select the single episodes, deselect the play-all.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

makemkv doesn't respect the "in/out" times of the playlist. So for playlists that make use of that and don't play a whole m2ts, makemkv isn't the right tool for the job. many threads over the years about this. Look at mkvtoolnix and see if it gives the proper timing.