The program can't find any usable optical drives.

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Ladyknightthebrave

Post by Ladyknightthebrave »

Although I hadn't made any changes to my setup I am suddenly getting this message when I open MakeMKV

Operating system blocked access to optical drive "\Device\CdRom0". Program needs to be run as administrator to access the drive.

With our without a disc the program isn't recognizing the disc drive. I tried running the program as an administrator I tried updating to the latest version of the software and I tried an older version. Same issue. And I made sure my antivirus software wasn't blocking the program for some reason, it isn't.

I'm running Windows 10. Please help
Woodstock

Re: The program can't find any usable optical drives.

Post by Woodstock »

A google earch for "Windows ransomware exception" should find a lot of information on this topic. The Fall 2019 update to Windows 10 defaults to marking all newly-installed programs as unsafe (unless you got them from Microsoft-approved sources), and defaults to blocking access to devices. You need to add MakeMKV's programs as exceptions.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
painiac

Post by painiac »

Experiencing the same issue - I ripped a DVD, removed it, added another, MakeMKV spit it back out and is now giving me the same message.

I whitelisted it via Control Panel and turned the ransomware protection on just to add MakeMKV to the exception list. Same message persists, even when running as administrator.

Were you able to find a solution?
edinsac

Post by edinsac »

I just experienced the same issue. I fiddled with the exclusions in my antivirus program but that did not help. Also tried quitting and restarting MakeMKV and running it as administrator, also no help.

At the time that this happened, I was trying to read a Blu-Ray disk, so I ejected that and placed a DVD in the drive, which MakeMKV was able to read without issue. I then swapped the Blu-Ray back into the drive - problem solved.

Not sure what was going on there but if you are getting this error, try reading a different disk, and if that works, try again with the disk that was giving you trouble (without quitting the program).
Pauln6

Post by Pauln6 »

Hmm I have a similar problem. I thought a USB connection would allow my Windows 10 laptop to detect my Sony Blu-Ray player but I've got nothing. I can't detect the device at all. Am I missing something obvious?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Does Windows see it, i.e., can you look at a disk inserted in it with Windows Explorer?

Windows 10 has some security features that will prohibit programs NOT blessed by Microsoft from accessing a lot of things, such as "removable storage". If Explorer can find the drive, but MakeMKV cannot, you should look at Windows Ransomware Protection (it is a popular search phrase).
Pauln6

Post by Pauln6 »

Frustrating. The Blu Ray player is discoverable by bluetooth but not in the network by USB nor by VLC nor Makemkv. The bluetooth connected to the device as an audio player but the blu ray player itself is not connected nor can I check properties or drivers. Very odd.

On my older laptop I have a similar problem albeit not quite so bad. On that one I can detect the properties of the blur ray player and it tells me I don't need any new drivers. VLC acknowledges the USB connection but can't see the blu ray player to connect to.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When you check the device manager in Windows, what does it list the player as?

When I search for "bluetooth" and "bluray player", I see stand-alone players that can act as video and audio sources, but not devices that would be used for ripping.