Use MakeMKV new integration with VLC to get correct playlist/segment list

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
davidm

Use MakeMKV new integration with VLC to get correct playlist/segment list

Post by davidm »

As of MakeMKV v1.15.0 (March 3, 2020 version) there is no direct integration between MakeMKV and VLC to allow VLC to play blu-rays (maybe UHD also, I do not know because I did not try that). In the revision history MakeMKV has the following text "New preferences page for LibMMBD integration". With this integration and with Java 8 (64 bit version of Java and VLC) you can also see the blu-ray menus and play the blu-ray without the need to rip it. Is there any work by MakeMKV to to take this to the next step and use VLC knowledge to find the direct playlist ?
Woodstock

Re: Use MakeMKV new integration with VLC to get correct playlist/segment list

Post by Woodstock »

Preferences->Integration tab has more information.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
davidm

Post by davidm »

This tab in MakeMKV only enables the integration. Your answer does not address my question. I am looking to see if someone is looking to use the integration with VLC to figure what it the correct playlist in MakeMKV to rip. For example if you have 4 possible playlists in MakeMKV, this new integration could help MakeMKV to find what is the correct playlist. The knowledge appear in VLC, as VLC knows how to play the blu-ray correctly.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

I think it will just show all the titles you can use vlc to scan through each one though before ripping
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
jjslegacy

Post by jjslegacy »

it can use java and show the normal bluray movie so it should be able to help pick the actual playlist if we could somehow see what it's picking - maybe in process monitor somehow? I haven't gone down this path in years
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

I wasn't aware of this previously. I enabled it in the settings page, but when I open VLC and tell it to play the disc in the drive, it fails. Am I supposed to be doing something else?
Lost Dog

Post by Lost Dog »

This is actually something I've wondered about as well. I use linux and have symlinked libmmbd to /usr/lib and it works great to play the disks directly within VLC and MythTV (I've not yet tried Kodi).

Mostly I rip the mkv to disk and watch from there but here are titles (stupid Lions Gate...) that uses the playlist obfuscation so you see 100's of potential playlists. I've found Makemkv does not always do a good job of picking the correct one. I think what davidm was suggesting was to open and play the disk in VLC then have it (in the logs or ???) show what segment map it's using for the main feature.

I've run VLC from the terminal window with logging enabled but have not found anything that looks like a listing of the playing segment map. Anyone have an idea if this is possible?
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

I still can't even figure out how to get them to play in VLC at all....
jjslegacy

Post by jjslegacy »

koberulz wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:58 pm
I still can't even figure out how to get them to play in VLC at all....
are you getting an error? It was pretty easy to setup - I just needed to install 64-bit vlc as I only had 64-bit java installed
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

Yeah, VLC just says it can't be opened.

I have no idea what type of VLC I have, and what's this about Java?
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

Bump.
T'hain Esh Kelch

Post by T'hain Esh Kelch »

Did anyone ever find out a solution here? I am currently ripping Soul, from Disney/Pixar, and it has 5 tracks that are exactly the same size and length, and thus only differs in the Title and end credits, which correlates with differences in the segment maps.

So VLC is of no help to me to find the correct playlist.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

T'hain Esh Kelch wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:13 pm
Did anyone ever find out a solution here? I am currently ripping Soul, from Disney/Pixar, and it has 5 tracks that are exactly the same size and length, and thus only differs in the Title and end credits, which correlates with differences in the segment maps.

So VLC is of no help to me to find the correct playlist.
makemkv shows you the segments that make up the playlist, play an individual segment (m2ts file) inside vlc and you should usually be able to eyeball it easily.
preserve

Post by preserve »

For any recent Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars movie, and now others who have started using this convention as well, they are practically always playlist 800 for the English version.

The subsequent playlists (801, 802, etc) of the same run time and number of chapters will be versions that have on-screen text, signs, etc localized in different languages.

This has been the Disney convention for years now.

If you see different run times or number of chapters on a movie-sized playlist (20-40 GB), then it may be some other difference, such as an extended or director’s cuts, etc.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
ChrisI

Post by ChrisI »

This method worked nicely for me:

viewtopic.php?p=99645#p99645