Poldark Season 1 and 5 Blu Ray MPLS - Help?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
harrison42

Poldark Season 1 and 5 Blu Ray MPLS - Help?

Post by harrison42 »

Hopefully this is the right place to ask about this - so sorry if it isn't!

I'm searching for the correct MPLS codes for Poldark Season 1 and 5's blu ray region 1 releases. Others have graciously already shared the codes for seasons 2-4, which has been an enormous help. I saw in one of the threads to just ask if I'm looking for codes, so here I am! If anyone would be willing to help me out, or even give some guidance on where I could get them, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Aelio

Re: Poldark Season 1 and 5 Blu Ray MPLS - Help?

Post by Aelio »

In my experience, season 1 didn't use playlist obfuscation. I don't know about the state of season 5 but if it does, I too would like to know the correct playlist.

Here are a couple links that may be useful:

From MakeMKV FAQs, involves creating backups and sending them to support@makemkv.com : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14330

This link details a method to uncover the correct playlist using a combination of PowerDVD (or similar DVD/Blu-ray player) and Process Monitor: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16251

The second link is a bit more involved, and the topic continues for quite a while with many users reporting their own various tweaks and problems with the method. Overall though, it seems like a valid option. I do think however, you need the original disc to determine the playlist with the PowerDVD/Process Monitor combo so a backup only won't work. Don't quote me on that but that's what I gathered during my research.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

easiest thing is to use anydvd :) if it doesn't report the playlists (due to no one reporting it to them yet) report it to them in the forum with a log. they'll probably then ask you to make a new log and after processing it, should work fine (based on my experience in past)

PBS playlist obfuscation is actually "simple" (the discs aren't even java discs in reality, all the java code does is set up GPRs with which playlists to use and then exits, so that's all that anydvd does, it sets up the GPRs itselfs and just skips all the java code (which then means you can delete all the wasted space in JAR did which is significant).
Aelio

Post by Aelio »

I tried downloading AnyDVD in the hopes I could play a MakeMKV BD backup using a virtual drive, but AnyDVD doesn't detect the virtual drive. I'm guessing I need the actual disc for this to work. Also, AnyDVD is pretty expensive, $115 USD. I don't have any experience with AnyDVD so I can't say whether it works or not, how easy it is etc but the fact it can't detect my virtual drive and costs $115 dollars makes it seem less than ideal.

If I had the physical disc and tried playing it in VLC, would having AnyDVD help me in finding the correct playlist? I can already play BD discs with VLC or another application without having to spend $115 dollars. I'm trying to figure out what AnyDVD is really doing for me if anything.

Ideally, I'd like a way to open these backups I have in VLC, or another program, to be able to determine what mpls are being played for each episode. Maybe if I had the disc, I'd be able to see the benefits of having AnyDVD but so far, I'm not seeing the benefit.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Aelio wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 8:40 pm
I tried downloading AnyDVD in the hopes I could play a MakeMKV BD backup using a virtual drive, but AnyDVD doesn't detect the virtual drive. I'm guessing I need the actual disc for this to work. Also, AnyDVD is pretty expensive, $115 USD. I don't have any experience with AnyDVD so I can't say whether it works or not, how easy it is etc but the fact it can't detect my virtual drive and costs $115 dollars makes it seem less than ideal.

If I had the physical disc and tried playing it in VLC, would having AnyDVD help me in finding the correct playlist? I can already play BD discs with VLC or another application without having to spend $115 dollars. I'm trying to figure out what AnyDVD is really doing for me if anything.

Ideally, I'd like a way to open these backups I have in VLC, or another program, to be able to determine what mpls are being played for each episode. Maybe if I had the disc, I'd be able to see the benefits of having AnyDVD but so far, I'm not seeing the benefit.
Have you tried makemkv intagration with VLC you must own makemkv for it to work not the free beta.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Aelio

Post by Aelio »

Yes, I can typically play blu-ray backups using vlc via the MakeMKV integration. I've found though that the discs that use playlist obfuscation don't play properly in VLC. When I try to play these blu-rays, VLC will act like it's going to play them but will immediately close. If I turn off blu-ray menus when playing one of these blu-rays, then it will generally load but will only play like the first episode. Without menus, I'm unable to navigate to the other episodes on the disc and once the running episode reaches its end time, the playback of the blu-ray is ended and that's that.