Corrupted frames at same location

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
jordankothe9

Corrupted frames at same location

Post by jordankothe9 »

I've checked the pinned posts and couldn't find a solution by searching the forums...

I'm trying to rip several blu-ray discs from Warner Brothers and all of them have errors at the same spot in the movie after repeated rips:

There are no errors coming from MakeMKV The corrupt frames seem to happen when there is a lot of motion on screen or during a cut to another camera angle, but not always.

Here's what I've tried so far:
Restarting my computer (Windows 10 64 bit)
plugging my Blu-ray drive into a different USB 3.0 port
watching the Blu-ray with PowerDVD (it works, no errors)
Using different discs (I only have movies from Warner Brothers handy and that seems to be the only common thing between them)
Saving to a different drive to eliminate the possibility of a failing SSD
importing the same title again produces exactly the same error/corrupt frames

Here's a list of the problem Movies (for SEO etc)
Mad Max Fury Road
Batman v Superman
Man of Steel
The Dark Knight Rises

Each of the Blu-rays are in mint condition so I doubt that would have an effect. I also have used this same hardware to rip Blu-rays in the past with no issues.
Grauhaar

Re: Corrupted frames at same location

Post by Grauhaar »

Looks like a codec problem. I think you are using the Windows "Media & TV" App, or? How it looks with VLC?
Good Luck :)

Post by Wilburnti »

Can't be a graphic's card issue, right?
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

No, I don't think so. It's for me a decoding problem. Try it with VLC and not with the current program/app.
Good Luck :)

Post by skeller »

Grauhaar wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:52 am
No, I don't think so. It's for me a decoding problem. Try it with VLC and not with the current program/app.
I'm resurrecting an older thread (hope that's ok) because I'm having the exact problem with ripping the Mad Max Fury Road Blu ray. I get the glitches if I use the default Windows movie & tv app but it plays back fine in VLC, though I see the glitches if I scrub through the video (none during normal playback). Unfortunately Plex is also showing the glitches during playback.

I'm new to makemkv so if there's anything I should do to try and troubleshoot this please let me know. I've ripped 2 discs so far and Fury Road had this problem while the other did not.
suspiciouscoffee

Post by suspiciouscoffee »

I’m having the same trouble with my Dark Knight Trilogy discs. No error messages, but corrupted frames in the same spots every minute or so. Is it just that Warner discs cannot be ripped or require extra steps?
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Use Media Player Classic (MPC-HC).
I keep my K-Lite Codec pack up to date, never had any issues.
ErickKing

Post by ErickKing »

skeller wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:30 pm
Grauhaar wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:52 am
I'm resurrecting an older thread (hope that's ok) because I'm having the exact problem with ripping the Mad Max Fury Road Blu ray. I get the glitches if I use the default Windows movie & tv app but it plays back fine in VLC, though I see the glitches if I scrub through the video (none during normal playback). Unfortunately Plex is also showing the glitches during playback.

I'm new to makemkv so if there's anything I should do to try and troubleshoot this please let me know. I've ripped 2 discs so far and Fury Road had this problem while the other did not.
It appears that you are encountering issues when ripping specific Blu-ray discs from Warner Brothers, resulting in corrupt frames during playback. Here are some troubleshooting steps and suggestions to address this problem:

Firmware Update: Ensure that your Blu-ray drive has the latest firmware update. Manufacturers often release updates that improve compatibility and performance.

Clean the Disc: Even if the discs appear to be in mint condition, it's possible that there are minor scratches or dust on the surface that could cause read errors. Try cleaning the discs with a soft, lint-free cloth.

Different Blu-ray Drive: If possible, try using a different Blu-ray drive to rip the discs. This can help rule out any issues with the drive itself.

Software Updates: Make sure you are using the latest version of MakeMKV. Check for updates and install them if available, as newer versions may have improved disc compatibility.

Try a Different Ripping Software: Experiment with other Blu-ray ripping software. While MakeMKV is popular and generally reliable, it's possible that a different program may handle these discs better.

Reduced Ripping Speed: Sometimes, reducing the ripping speed can improve the success rate, especially with problematic discs. In MakeMKV, you can adjust the ripping speed under Preferences > General.

Use Error Correction: Enable error correction if your Blu-ray ripping software offers this option. Error correction can help recover data from damaged areas of the disc.

Inspect Disc for Damage: Even if the discs look fine, inspect them closely for any subtle damage. Tiny scratches or imperfections may not be visible to the naked eye but can still cause read errors.

Test on a Different Computer: If you have access to another computer, try ripping the problematic discs on that machine. This can help determine if the issue is specific to your computer or hardware.

Contact MakeMKV Support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, consider reaching out to MakeMKV's support or forums for specific assistance with these Warner Brothers discs. They may have insights or solutions.

Legal Considerations: Ensure that you have the legal right to rip these Blu-ray discs for personal use, as copyright laws vary by region.
hi all!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Your answer seems to be based on playing the disk, rather than playing the rip. The rip has already been checked for errors.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

ErickKing wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:08 am
Firmware Update: Ensure that your Blu-ray drive has the latest firmware update. Manufacturers often release updates that improve compatibility and performance.
This is absolutely NOT the right thing to do. In the context of MakeMKV, updating a drive's firmware to something other than the recommended level is generally unhelpful and currently in the case of Pioneer drives can render the drive unable to rip UHDs.

The standard advice on this forum is to get the drive to the recommended firmware level and then leave it alone.