The Magic Flute (Bergman) fake playlist

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
west67

The Magic Flute (Bergman) fake playlist

Post by west67 »

The blu-ray of Bergman's film of The Magic Flute (www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Flute-DVD-Blu-ray/dp/B076MDDRDZ/) has 411 titles in the playlist. I have sent a copy of the backup (with the STREAM folder deleted) to support@makemkv.com.

I'd be grateful for help in making an MKV backup of this disk.

I attach a copy of the MakeMKV log.
Tha Magic Flute log file.txt
(30.75 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
wuffo

Re: The Magic Flute (Bergman) fake playlist

Post by wuffo »

I too am trying to make a backup of this disc. I'm a MakeMKV newbie and I don't know how to tell about the playlist, but I do know that 5 minutes in, I see a screen that says essentially "this disc is copy protected and you appear to be watching a copy".

Any update? Did the OP manage to get a successful copy?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't have that particular movie, so I can't help you find the right answer.

It sounds like this title has playlist obfuscation or fake playlists. The MakeMKV FAQ has an entry about this. There are also various threads around the forum where people discuss methods one can use for finding the right playlist amongst the many. Here's one such thread: A Better Way To Find The Correct Playlist/Segment Map Here's another: Determining correct title on BD with MULTIPLE titles
Curator

Post by Curator »

I do own a copy of this disk and it was a pig to rip for my media server. I ran makemkvcon program to get the metadata out, then wrote a little shell script to extract the fragments list. I read these into a spreadsheet and sat down with the score to make sure the start and end of the video files were consistent.
The track number reported by makemkvcon was 339, but that wasn't the same track number as appears in the GUI. The fragment list was as shown in the attachment and it was obvious quite quickly it was the only candidate. The fragment list was
514,511,509,516,500,501,505,502,519,513,508,503,520,504,6,518,507,510,506,517,515
which corresoponds to title 295 in the GUI (00825.mpls), I suppose some of the obvious fakes were filtered out by makemkv's algorithm.

I've watched this through and I think it's the right play list. I have to say I'm a bit annoyed at the BFI for messing me around like this. I don't do copyright infringement. I buy BDs because it's the best quality way of getting the bits onto my media server, which is my preferred soruce for my viewing. Were I young and impuslive, I'd be uploading the ripped video somewhere naughty right now, but I'm not, so if you want to watch it you'll still have to buy it. However, I consider selling BDs thus obfuscated extremely sharp practice. Maybe I should write to them.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm glad you figured it out.

It looks like there's a Region A Criterion Collection version https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Magi ... ay/227165/ I don't own it, but I've never known Criterion to do that silly stuff.

This BFI disc is the first one I'm aware of with playlist obfuscation that isn't a Lionsgate disc.
Curator

Post by Curator »

I should perhaps be more specific about the disc and makemkv version then.
Title: "The Magic Flute directed by Ingmar Bergman Music by Mozart"
Cat no: BFIB 1299 (DVD region 2 and BD Region B dual edition)
Barcode: 5 035673 012994

BD is 1080/24 and the DVD is 25pfs obviously. Swedish language, English subtitles. I can't say which one is the right pitch, but obvioulsy people with perfect pitch will hear one of them out of tune.

MakeMKV version: 1.17.4 [linuix, x64-release)];
GUI version: 1.17.4 [for x86_64-linux-gnu]
Registered.
Curator

Post by Curator »

The Swedish Film Institute remastered this film form the BFI release according to Wikipedia. In the UK it's available at a cost quite a bit lower than the Criterion one when I last looked. Compared with the screenshot at https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Magi ... ay/227165/ the SFI / BFI release seem to be much more satisfactory video-wise, though obviously the 16mm original will limit that to some extent. The audio is 1970s-quality stereo, with a tendency to analogue domain overmodulation in places, but quite all right if you have something to look at too. You'd be buying it for the film anyway, which is recognised as an outstanding piece of direction. There's a official trailer at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yS9-9ic9A4. I wouldn't have bought it if two people whose opinions I trust (one a music prof who doesn't watch films at all normally, and another a professional opera singer who as performed it) hadn't been enthusiastic about it. The Sweedish isn't an obstacle for me at all; just remember to turn that audio track on! The chef on The Muppets: not real Sweedish :D I'm pleased I boiught it, and even more pleased I can now watch it.