Good Time: blu-ray mpls?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
SteveO

Good Time: blu-ray mpls?

Post by SteveO »

Hello,

Has anyone retrieved the mpls playlist sequence for the blu-ray version of the movie Good Time yet? Can't find it posted here yet which is a bit of a surprise.

Thank you!
Woodstock

Re: Good Time: blu-ray mpls?

Post by Woodstock »

Didn't MakeMKV suggest one? Or do you not have Java installed?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

Hello and thank you for the reply. With 415 mpls sequences listed, many of which show the correct runtime for the film, I didn't trust Handbrake's choice, mpls 440. I'll give that one a try and see if it matches the disc.

Thanks again for the help. If I am unsuccessful with mpls 440 I will report back.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I didn't mention handbrake - MakeMKV, if you have the Java Runtime Environment installed, should be picking up the proper play list and moving it to the top.

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16791
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

Hello again Woodstock. Thanks for the Java info.

I have confirmed that I do have the latest version of Java installed on my Mac. Good Time does not seem to be a Lionsgate movie and I am not receiving the Java Runtime message in the MakeMKV dialog window, which I will assume means that the disc does not have the fake playlist feature. But I still see over 400 mpls playlists when I try to rip an m4v file. So can I assume the mpls sequence selected in Handbrake is the correct one?

Sorry for my confusion. Thanks again for the help.
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

Okay. Figured out what you were saying. I really only have used this program to duplicate discs and have not gotten much further in as I then use HB to rip the m4v. So I am a bit ignorant regarding the more detailed workings of this program.

Thank you for the help.
maeveynot

Post by maeveynot »

Picked this up the other day and found that this thread had not had a playlist posted at any point since about 2 years ago, so:

- I can confirm that I have Java (OpenJDK) working and that MakeMKV does not detect a playlist for this disc even with it.

- The playlist quoted above from Handbrake is wrong; specifically, it's the only one with an extra 1-minute-long segment containing the familiar Lionsgate "screw you, paying customer" message (I'm glad I bought this secondhand... ugh). Suspect that Handbrake's only heuristic here was selecting the longest title.

- Using the segments from `backup --decrypt` and a little sorting to narrow down playlists manually, I came up with:

00432.mpls

I skimmed the sections in question (the longer-segment ones don't actually change position in most permutations) against Amazon and this looks correct to me, but I haven't watched it in full yet.
Dankkh

Post by Dankkh »

I purchased this movie recently and went to make a backup with MakeMKV. I, too, was confused about which playlist is the correct one, and was also surprised to not find a definitive answer on this forum. However, I found a solution, and I think it's safe to say that 00432.mpls is the correct one.
maeveynot wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:39 am
- Using the segments from `backup --decrypt` and a little sorting to narrow down playlists manually, I came up with:

00432.mpls

I skimmed the sections in question (the longer-segment ones don't actually change position in most permutations) against Amazon and this looks correct to me, but I haven't watched it in full yet.
Following the instructions from this thread, I re-installed the latest version of Java, and then manually pointed MakeMKV to the new location of java.exe.

After doing this, MakeMKV appears to successfully identify 00432.mpls as the correct playlist. This seems to match up with the findings from the comment above me, so MakeMKV's auto-detection does appear to be working here.

Hope this helps out any others who are facing the same issue.
LibraSun

Post by LibraSun »

Having ripped "Good Time" with the above advice (i.e. choosing 00432.mpls), I wound up with the Director version of the blu-ray title, wherein people are talking over the entire movie.

Back to the drawing board!
zzeedd56

Post by zzeedd56 »

on my netflix disk

Title information
Name: Good Time (English)
Source file name: 00432.mpls
Duration: 1:41:17
Chapters count: 16
Size: 17.0 GB
Segment count: 15
Segment map: 502,501,514,506,504,513,515,503,508,511,505,507,510,512,509
File name: Good Time_t170.mkv

this mpl gives 3 audio tracks, using VLC you would choose a different audio track if you do not want to listen to the director commentary.