HELP NEEDED - How to RIP from files copied to hard drive

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Patzag

HELP NEEDED - How to RIP from files copied to hard drive

Post by Patzag »

Anyone knows where to find this information?

Quote:
The simple workaround is to copy all files from the disc to the hard drive manually, without MakeMKV running. If you succeed in this, there is a fast and simple way to convert such copy into encrypted MakeMKV backup that can be opened by MakeMKV later. See our forum for details.

I could not find how to get MakeMKV "rip" the files copied to a folder on my hard drive.
ndjamena

Re: HELP NEEDED - How to RIP from files copied to hard drive

Post by ndjamena »

That quote makes no sense.

If you move the files on a blu ray or dvd to a hard drive without proper ripping software it's impossible to decrypt them later, since the drive is actually a necessary component of the decryption process, and once the files have been move off the disc the drive no longer cares.

If we ignore the actual wording and assume whoever wrote it doesn't understand English very well it's possible it's talking about MakeMKVs "backup" option which really can save a copy to a hdd without decrypting it (while saving a copy of the key so that it can be decrypted later).

Another possibility is that they assume you're using AnyDVD or DVDFab PassKey and by "encrypted" and "later" they mean an mkv file.

You didn't tell us what you're trying to do and since the quote you've given makes no sense there's not much more I can say.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Actually, that quote is from Mike... it's a new error report link in 1.10.4. It points here: http://www.makemkv.com/errors/read/

But I'm not sure what he means by "see the forum", because I've not seen anything like that come up before.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I haven't tried it but maybe if you try start to make a backup without decrypting the video and then cancel it, MakeMKV will have already saved the decrypting information into the destination.

If you just move the rest of the files from the disc to that folder it's possible MakeMKV will be able to decode it all from there.

You'll need a copy program that ignores read errors though...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I think the key part is in this sentence:
The simple workaround is to copy all files from the disc to the hard drive manually, without MakeMKV running. If you succeed in this, there is a fast and simple way to convert such copy into encrypted MakeMKV backup that can be opened by MakeMKV later. See our forum for details.
(emphasis mine)

"Succeed" can mean different things to different people. To me, it would be "copied ALL FILES WITHOUT ERRORS".

To others it might mean "managed to get through everything after several attempts to exclude things that wouldn't copy because they're damaged" (i.e., the "skipping over errors" thing people keep asking be included in MakeMKV). That's akin to "creating an ISO" using 'dd' on Linux with the "conv=noerror" setting to write zeros where read errors occurred, and hope for the best.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Well, that actually worked.

At first I tried starting a backup, and cancelling it after a few seconds, then copying all the files directly from the Blu Ray to the folder but it crashed on the analysis.

So then I tried backing up the disc completely, then copying just the m2ts files into the backup directory and it worked fine.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

And if you just copy the disk to a directory, MakeMKV can't read the information necessary to find the volume key, so it will be interesting when Mike pops up to tell us how this is supposed to work if backup doesn't work... :)
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I just tried again, this time I did a unencrypted back-up until it reached the first m2ts file, then I just manually copied the STREAM folder from the Blu Ray using basic windows drag and drop and it's working fine again. I have no idea what went wrong last time or where the actual limitations start but apparently an unencrypted backup to the first m2ts files gives you everything you need to un-encrypt anything copied from the disc using any method.

If Mike is really suggesting that, then it kind of suggests using techniques to copy broken files over to a hard drive, MakeMKV can already copy intact files and it's possible MakeMKV is more resilient against corrupted files than it is against SCSI errors.
Patzag

Post by Patzag »

Yes, the backup technique worked, except that my windows-copied files are corrupted somehow and the making of the MKV file was interrupted. My disk is definitely bad. I could not seem to copy a working copy of the STREAM folder! Argh!

Any ideas on how best to copy the files across and circumvent the problem?
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/recover-pho ... amaged-cd/

google is the best I've got. Never done anything like it before.

All I can say is make sure the "decrypt video" checkbox is unchecked when you start the MakeMKV backup.
JohnYaya

Post by JohnYaya »

I'm glad someone dug into this a bit, because I've been having an increasing problem with disc errors. They are not damaged discs, even though MakeMKV says they are, and it's not a drive power problem, because I'm using full sized drives in powered enclosures. Which error I get depends on the drive. One always gives the disc error mentioned in the first post and another gives some sort of "OS lost communication" error that says this has to be a power problem with a bus powered drive, but like I said, I'm not using bus powered drives.

I'm running Mac OS 10.11.6 and the procedure seems to be slightly different.

Start a backup, uncheck the decrypt option. Let it run until it gets to the first m2ts file. At that point, it has saved the disc code, which is a file called "discatt.dat". Stop the backup, quit MakeMKV, delete the incomplete BDMV file from the backup folder and drag-and-drop the file BDMV from the disc to the folder. Let it copy the file. Then, eject the disc, start MakeMKV, select File>Open Files and navigate to and double click the discatt.dat file. Good to go.
lflfm

Post by lflfm »

Hi guys, I see this is an old post and maybe this is why I don't se this option to rip without decrypting..?!?
I'm trying to rip the 7th db from a movie box set (want to convert for watching on the go with my phone) and I'm getting the read errors that pointed me to the same link OP mentioned. I managed to copy the entire contents of the disk to my HD (no read errors btw) but now how do I do the "fast and simple way to convert such copy into encrypted MakeMKV backup that can be opened by MakeMKV later"...?

For details: the drive works fine, it's brand-new; I bought it for this purpose. The disk is also fine, also brand-new; I bought it for this purpose (actually I bought it for my wife to watch it in German to learn, but she refuses to watch movies on the TV like a normal person, so I bought the bluray drive to rip the thing and put it on her phone; now movies 1-6 work fine, but movie 7, parts 1 and 2 seem to be problematic for makemkv.) I copied the files into the HD using windows copy/paste and it came just fine; now I just need to understand how to make makemkv read from this source...

Thanks!!
lflfm

Post by lflfm »

lflfm wrote:Hi guys, I see this is an old post and maybe this is why I don't se this option to rip without decrypting..?!?
I'm trying to rip the 7th db from a movie box set (want to convert for watching on the go with my phone) and I'm getting the read errors that pointed me to the same link OP mentioned. I managed to copy the entire contents of the disk to my HD (no read errors btw) but now how do I do the "fast and simple way to convert such copy into encrypted MakeMKV backup that can be opened by MakeMKV later"...?

For details: the drive works fine, it's brand-new; I bought it for this purpose. The disk is also fine, also brand-new; I bought it for this purpose (actually I bought it for my wife to watch it in German to learn, but she refuses to watch movies on the TV like a normal person, so I bought the bluray drive to rip the thing and put it on her phone; now movies 1-6 work fine, but movie 7, parts 1 and 2 seem to be problematic for makemkv.) I copied the files into the HD using windows copy/paste and it came just fine; now I just need to understand how to make makemkv read from this source...

Thanks!!
Nevermind, I got it.
So we have to click "backup disk" and let it copy... Once it gets to the stream folder we can cancel and take directly from the disk (maybe we could even just let it do the whole thing this way?). Then click open from file and open the .dat file on the root of the backup output directory.. and then it works - it did report read errors again and said that the checksums failed and stuff, but didn't just sit there trying again and again for hours, it just kept going and the final MKV worked perfectly...
C4m3r0n

Post by C4m3r0n »

Quick question. Do you have to create the backup directory yourself?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

C4m3r0n wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:57 pm
Quick question. Do you have to create the backup directory yourself?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If you're using MakeMKV to backup a whole disc (as opposed to ripping one or more of the titles on a disc), you'll pick/create the output folder as part of the flow for starting the backup.

https://makemkv.com/faq/item/4