HELP NEEDED - How to RIP from files copied to hard drive

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
v65animal

Re: HELP NEEDED - How to RIP from files copied to hard drive

Post by v65animal »

I used a software called "Recovery Toolbox for CD Free" to copy the Blu-Ray to my HDD, to get around errors.

I then used MAKEMKV and the BackUp option ( I did NOT check the Decrypt Video Files option)

I let it run until I saw the first m2ts file being copied. I hit the Eject button, then the "hand" to Cancel.

It's been running for 1:50:00 so far, stuck at this message:
The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 3172497408, attempting to work around
The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 3172497408, attempting to work around

It says only 2 seconds remaining, for the last hour + now. I cancelled and got this:

Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (135)' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' at offset '3172503552'
Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (135)' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' at offset '3172503552'
Failed to save title 0 to file C:/Video/After Earth - Blu-ray™ (Mastered in 4K)/After Earth - Blu-ray™ (Mastered in 4K)_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

I'm out of ideas for this one.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"Get around errors"?

Errors in reading the original are going to be errors in the copy, too.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
v65animal

Post by v65animal »

Yes, but it completes instead of failing like MakeMKV. As others have noted, they can play disc on the same system, but MakeMKV won't skip the error.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The objective of MakeMKV is to give you an "exact copy" of the video on the disk. If there are errors on the disk, then what is read is not what is supposed to be there.

Player software that reads directly from disks assume there will be errors, and silently (as much as possible) skip over them. But they aren't that tolerant when reading from your hard drive. "Recovery Toolbox" isn't trying for an exact copy. If you play what it recovered, your player will probably get a bit haywire when it hits the part of the transport stream where the original error happened.

Frankly, if the disk gives errors even after being cleaned, it should go back for replacement.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
v65animal

Post by v65animal »

Yes, that would be nice to just get a replacement if they had warranties on Blu-Rays. I didn't just buy this, so no receipt, etc to return it.
v65animal

Post by v65animal »

A long time ago, as a kid, my Aunt had what was called a Laser Disc player. She had Star Wars and copied it to VHS for me. During the scene where the sand people attack Luke, it stuttered. (likely a disc scratch) That showed up on the VHS as well, but the rest of the movie was fine.

I was hoping to get the same result, the disc has a scratch, but I can watch it. I'd just like to copy it to my PLEX server instead of pulling out the Blu-Ray player. If it has a bad spot, or misses a few seconds, so be it.

Thanks,
Sam
sigidi

Post by sigidi »

Maybe somebody should update that error message then.... since it is still quite confusing